Railroad Forums 

• Batten Kill RR seeks return of stolen RS3 horn

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#1573432  by roc

New York’s Batten Kill Railroad is offering $1,000 reward after the theft of a Leslie RSST horn stolen from its vintage Greenwich & Johnsonville Alco RS3 from the railroad’s East Greenwich, N.Y., facility. The railroad is offering the reward for return of the horn or information leading to the arrest and conviction of the person or persons responsible. The horn can still be returned with no questions asked. Anyone with information is asked to contact Hal Raven at [email protected].

Click through for image, second news item.

https://www.trains.com/trn/news-reviews ... 9-special/
 #1573511  by tree68

I hate to dis on truckers, but if the horn isn't on some railfan's mantle, or at a junkyard, it's probably installed in a semi by now.

The Adirondack lost four horns a few years ago. Nothing ever turned up.

One solution I've heard of is using four different fasteners to bolt the horn down.
 #1574115  by lvrr325

The easiest answer would be to weld up the bolts in a couple spots. Sure you have to go up there with a grinder to take it off, but so would a thief. Done right I would think you could knock the weld off and just leave a gap in the threads.