Railroad Forums 

• Historic Hyannis Roundhouse Saved

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#1550047  by bostontrainguy

I got to be honest with you. I went to Pufferbellies once and had no idea it was actually a roundhouse.

“The brick New York, New Haven & Hartford Railroad Roundhouse was built in 1901 when Hyannis was the hub of transportation on the Cape with extensive rail yards and a line extending down Old Colony Way to a railroad wharf providing service to and from Nantucket,”

https://www.capecodtimes.com/news/20190 ... ferbellies

https://www.capecodtimes.com/news/20190 ... roundhouse
 #1550143  by electricron

Good news to read the ferry company no longer wishes to turn it into a parking lot.
Both good and bad news is since the ferry company is not in the business of leasing buildings, the property will probably be sold to someone else. The sooner the better.
Bad news is that the ferry company still needs more parking for their passenger only customers. The ferry company will be looking to buy other properties soon.
 #1550581  by electricron

Falmouth Secondary to Otis wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 8:14 pm Read in the Cape Rail dispatch that Hy-line Cruises sold the Roundhouse property to Plymouth & Brockton Street Railway back in March 2020 so they can move there bus operations from Center St over there.
I predicted that would happen.
Ferry companies are not in the real estate business.
 #1550661  by Falmouth Secondary to Otis

electricron wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 5:57 pm
Falmouth Secondary to Otis wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 8:14 pm Read in the Cape Rail dispatch that Hy-line Cruises sold the Roundhouse property to Plymouth & Brockton Street Railway back in March 2020 so they can move there bus operations from Center St over there.
I predicted that would happen.
Ferry companies are not in the real estate business.
Predictions are a forecast told in advance of what may or may not happen. The Roundhouse was sold this past March which was 5 month's ago and this prediction referring to the post that was made on August 18th, is an after the fact statement not a prediction. While the property was sold to P&B which will keep it from being demolished, it would have been better if it could have been preserved as a Rail museum of the Cape's past and present Rail use.