Railroad Forums 

• Four Week US "Rail Cruise"

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1496617  by mtuandrew

Gotta admit, it would be very nice to have a 5br/diner-lounge at my disposal - call it RailBnB :-D Wouldn’t even need to be a full diner, as I would recommend taking advantage of as much local food as possible. EDIT: Mr. Roberts, why do you say that? Seems like food delivery takes care of much of the food issue.

What about passengers with a little less scratch, but still able to afford sleeper rates if booked in advance?
 #1496619  by Bob Roberts

mtuandrew wrote:EDIT: Mr. Roberts, why do you say that? Seems like food delivery takes care of much of the food issue.
My comment was only based on how tired I am of diner food after a one way trip on the Builder or Crescent. Thinking about 10 more trips of that length in quick succession quickly leads to a feeling of 'yuck.' (having said that I did think that LD diner food was decent before the last round of changes). I haven't been brave enough to take advantage of food delivery on Amtrak, the narrow (and uncertain) time windows have always discouraged me.
 #1496621  by electricron

Are there any private sleeper cars available for 4 week straight anymore? You would think all of them are partially book, without a full month available.
How large is your group?
 #1496629  by CarterB

PV....and get all the food you want, to your own tastes.
 #1496885  by RandomRailfan

Gotta admit, it would be very nice to have a 5br/diner-lounge at my disposal - call it RailBnB :-D Wouldn’t even need to be a full diner, as I would recommend taking advantage of as much local food as possible. EDIT: Mr. Roberts, why do you say that? Seems like food delivery takes care of much of the food issue.
Food would be a huge element of this tour, stopping at various places across the country with some meals brought from local eating establishments, as well as fresh, local ingredients being supplied to the dining car.
 #1496906  by electricron

RandomRailfan wrote: Food would be a huge element of this tour, stopping at various places across the country with some meals brought from local eating establishments, as well as fresh, local ingredients being supplied to the dining car.
Amtrak does not stock fresh, local foods in their dining cars, you are in for a severe disappointment.
 #1497011  by CarterB

Jeff Smith wrote:^ I think that’s in context of a PV, not Amtrak food service.
Totally agree!!! and better sleeping accommodations as well, with usually the owner and assistant taking care of your every need. Plus, most have better ride than Amtrak cars, many have either a dome or an open platform observation. Amtrak usually, (but not always) places such PV at end of train, which means total privacy and best view/s.