Railroad Forums 

• Any Metro North Conductors on This Board?

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

#1402103  by nys3121

I should be in one of the next few Conductor classes. I'm hoping there might be a conductor on here that would be willing to let me buy them lunch or dinner in return for picking their brain about the life of a Conductor; one can only glean so much from message boards. I have a lot of time invested in my current job and just want to be 1000% I'm making the right move.

So, like I said, if there's anyone that would be willing to let me pick their brains over a meal or a beer or coffee, please reach out. Hope to hear from you soon.
 #1403280  by Steamboat Willie

Life as a conductor trainee requires a fair amount of dedication and discipline. You can expect many written and performance tests throughout the program, various hours and reporting locations when scheduled for on the job training (OJT), and securing your license after completion of the program. The average time spent in training status is about a year, and the trend has been newer markups are working up the line in crew bases on the Harlem and Hudson (North White Plains, Brewster, Croton-on-Hudson, Poughkeepsie.) Believe it or not, it's tough to hold New York because it is so saturated with people hired over the last few years.