Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

#1560843  by Pensyfan19

Kind fo related to the topic, Metro North is receiving the first four cars of a 60 car M8 order.

https://trn.trains.com/news/news-wire/2 ... he-midwest
An electric multiple-unit trainset for the Metropolitan Transportation Authority's Metro-North Railroad is hardly an everyday sight in suburban Chicago. This train of four Metro-North M8 railcars passed through Elmhurst, Ill., on the Union Pacific last Friday.
This one paragraph article was NOT quoted in its entirety. This photo was one of two from the article.

#1560909  by NH2060

That appears to be their position when it comes to anything non-freight. Every video posted on YouTube of the Siemens Venture coaches being delivered shows a UP engine pulling no more than 4 cars.
 #1563791  by TCurtin

What's the current status of this? ................ (Item from 2016)

"The bar once again will be open on the New Haven Line of the Metro-North Railroad. Bar cars, phased out in 2014, will be making a return to the line, according to people familiar with the matter.

“The Connecticut Department of Transportation has ordered 60 new train cars, and 10 of those will be retrofitted to include a bar, said one of the people familiar with the matter. State officials plan to make the announcement later this week [...]"

I live on the Hudson Line these days (near Harmon) and haven't been near the NH line in a log while
 #1564865  by Train538

GojiMet86 wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 3:36 pm What are the numbers of the new cars?
9424/25 is the pair closest to the camera. I believe the other pair is 9426/27, but don't quote me on that.
 #1564866  by Train538

9442/43 along with two more were spotted at the Kawasaki plant in Lincoln back on February 24th. Here's the "evidence" captured by The Four Foot (0:43 and 1:48 in the video):

#1565784  by GirlOnTheTrain

TCurtin wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 8:10 am What's the current status of this? ................ (Item from 2016)

"The bar once again will be open on the New Haven Line of the Metro-North Railroad. Bar cars, phased out in 2014, will be making a return to the line, according to people familiar with the matter.

“The Connecticut Department of Transportation has ordered 60 new train cars, and 10 of those will be retrofitted to include a bar, said one of the people familiar with the matter. State officials plan to make the announcement later this week [...]"

I live on the Hudson Line these days (near Harmon) and haven't been near the NH line in a log while
Considering the commissary department at MNR was dissolved, chances are slim to none with slim walking out the door on the bar cars...especially now with the pandemic.
 #1565799  by njtmnrrbuff

That's good news that the bar cars are returning. People traveling very long distances on the NHL will benefit from the bar car. Might I add that the additional rollout of M8 cars will hopefully help MTA/CDOT assign M8s to every MNR train running on only the main stretch of the New Haven Line. The line is made for MUs.