Railroad Forums 

• Toms River Industrial Track!

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#1602896  by R&DB

#1602882 by JohnFromJersey
Fri Jul 22, 2022 12:25 am
John, different towns and counties. I'm pretty sure the FIT crossings in Howell were paved over by Howell. The officials in Ocean County contacted the State about who had authority and it turned out to be the State. So the state did the work. As the TRIT is not abandoned is had to be repaired correctly.
 #1603074  by GSC

I was driving a school bus when the FIT crossings were paved over. As long as rails were visible, and subject to possible use, we had to make a full stop at the crossings, which I'm sure you'll understand really went over well with other motorists. Some crossings still had crossbuck signs.

Once the rails were paved over, the crossings became "exempt" and we didn't have to stop anymore.

There might be other reasons, such as the terrible condition some of the crossings were in, but we saw it as making our jobs a little easier.
 #1603076  by Bracdude181

School bus drivers were also complaining about the lack of said signage on CR 571 in Manchester, mainly because the tracks are still out of service. This was about two years ago when I was still going to OCVTS. Haven’t checked if DRRR put those signs up there. Their emergency info is up on all crossings south of Cross Street however, with the exception of the Clayton Sand portion.
 #1604993  by Tanker1497

Not sure what happened to that team track located behind Social Security on St. Catherine's off the TRIT.
They are building something big and that switch still intact goes right under the security fence. Could not see if they cut the track and removed the paved area where unloading was done.
Anyone know last time a car was delivered there?
 #1604994  by Bracdude181

Can’t say when the last car was delivered but I’d hazard a guess that it was in the 80s/90s.

The platform and about half of the siding has been removed. Not sure when that was done. I think that’s a childrens hospital being built there.
 #1605024  by Tanker1497

Bracdude181 wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 7:13 pm No. ABC Supply is about 800 feet away and their siding is still intact and connected. Tanker is referring to this siding:

https://satellites.pro/USA_map#39.979780,-74.253613,19
That's it the unloading area is then gone. But as of yesterday the switch and some rail still runs toward it.
This may be a switch that can be repurposed.
 #1605027  by Bracdude181

But to what extent can it be reused? I can’t see that property being used for trains again now that the hospital is being built there. Maybe take the switch and rails for use elsewhere?
 #1605034  by CharlieL

Well since D&RR has use of TRIT, they could reuse the switch to reconnect TRIT to the southern at Lakehurst, or any where else on the southern or FIT. Also the switch at ABC, since it's currently not being used.
 #1625696  by Bracdude181

Amerigas Propane was demolished today. Looks like yet another storage facility is being put in despite a monster 4 story one being built literally 5 minutes down the road 🙄
 #1625698  by Bracdude181

Amerigas was literally the only other reason to reopen the line for freight. Hazardous shipments make money. Builders General wouldn’t be enough to sustain this line if they reopened it and ABC just gets their stuff from Woodhaven when they need it.

With MOM not happening in the near future and the fact that property around the line is slowly being developed, could this be the end?