Railroad Forums 

• Toledo Morning Railfan Options

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in the American Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas. For questions specific to a railroad company, please seek the appropriate forum.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in the American Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas. For questions specific to a railroad company, please seek the appropriate forum.

Moderator: railohio

#290662  by railohio

Starting next week I should have just about every Wednesday morning free for railfanning around the Toledo area. What are some suggestions for places to hit? I already have return trips to Monroe and Oak Harbor on my list. I definately want to exclude Deshler and Fostoria from the list although North Baltimore/Galatea is a possiblity. The only catch is that I have to be able to reasonably be in Sylvania by 2:00pm. (So no sending me to Berea!) Other than that I'm free to roam! What are some suggestions for places in the city and surrounding communities? My emphasis is on photography and not just racking up the highest train count. Thanks for the suggestions and maybe some Wednesday we can get together for a bit trackside!
 #290706  by MSchwiebert

Q231 has been going south consistently in the morning hours, this would allow you to get a shot by the remains of Bates tower (recent installation of a water line has cleaned up the ROW between Bates & White Road), some "in town" shots in Perrysburg, a shot through the signal bridge at the south end of Haskins or through Weston (the main crossing in town still has the center mounted flashers).

I haven't been paying too much attention to the Toledo Branch lately, but most of the NYC style signals are still in place if you do happen to hear something out and about.

Another thing to do may be to try to catch a move on the former PRR out of Walbridge down to Woodville. The NOW may be out and about between Tiffin & Woodville as well.

With harvest season kicking off, it may be possible to catch a move on the former NYC "old line" out to the elevator in Ottawa Lake MI. There appears to be some good shot possiblities around Sylvania on this line.

If heading up to Michigan, it may be possible to catch the Adrian & Blissfield out working as well. If in Adrian, it may be possible to catch one of the CP trains going by the fomer WAB depot as well.

These are just some of the things I can think of off the top of my head.