Railroad Forums 

• Toledo Area Railfans

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in the American Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas. For questions specific to a railroad company, please seek the appropriate forum.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in the American Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas. For questions specific to a railroad company, please seek the appropriate forum.

Moderator: railohio

#228595  by esprrfan

I'm a Toledo area railfan, currently living out near CP 295. Once in a while I'll go out to Holland in the evenings if I'm home. Not a big NS fan, as I work for them I prefer SP and now against my will UP.

#228670  by chessie8212

esprrfan-

I try to get out to Holland during the evenings once and awhile as well. It's pretty nice to sit out there at night and watch the trains rumble by.

#228732  by esprrfan

May see you out there sometime, I have a red F150

#229745  by ToledoTerminalRy

WNYRailfan wrote:I posted this here because it is specific to Toledo:

What were the reasons behind the demolitions of all of the railroad structures along Cherry St?

There is nothing there now...except the Greenbelt.

I actually talked to one of the people who created the Greenbelt and he said the railroads were tough to get the land from...that leads me to believe it never should have been given up for a seldom used highway.
When they had the idea for the Greenbelt it was supposed to go into North Toledo somewhere (Manhattan Blvd I believe). This was when the North side was thriving. The Greenbelt was supposed to be a fast connection between South Toledo (Anthony Wayne Trail is the same street just renamed twice) and North Toledo. They started paving Downtown, got to Galena and found a Bald Eagle Nest up in the trees that were to be cut for in the way of the Belt. So the actual completion of the Greenbelt is stopped for probably close to a decade now because of a Bald Eagle Nest.

Should have left the tracks.