• Thursday's rush hour

• Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.
Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.

Moderators: mtuandrew, therock, Robert Paniagua

by train2

Spend Thursday, July 2nd, in Baltimore watching the PM rush. No new engines.

But the rush was just different from many past visits. Today there were a lot more electrics on the Penn Line, even on the earlier midday trains. In past rushes electrics were always in the minority, today it was reverse. I bounced back and forth from the Penn to the Camden but think I saw the majority of trains on the Penn. GPs were on less than 5 trains. I never say any MARC AEM7s, only HHP8 or what ever they are called. As a matter of fact I have not seen an MARC AEM7 in a very long time.

No trains today used the eastern most track at Halethorpe. In most every rush I have ever observed about 1/2 of the trains took the outside eastern track at Winans interlocking.

One train on the Camden line had 3 GP-40 units. Never seen that before either.
  by realtype

train2 wrote:Spend Thursday, July 2nd, in Baltimore watching the PM rush. No new engines.

But the rush was just different from many past visits. Today there were a lot more electrics on the Penn Line, even on the earlier midday trains. In past rushes electrics were always in the minority, today it was reverse. I bounced back and forth from the Penn to the Camden but think I saw the majority of trains on the Penn. GPs were on less than 5 trains. I never say any MARC AEM7s, only HHP8 or what ever they are called. As a matter of fact I have not seen an MARC AEM7 in a very long time.

No trains today used the eastern most track at Halethorpe. In most every rush I have ever observed about 1/2 of the trains took the outside eastern track at Winans interlocking.

One train on the Camden line had 3 GP-40 units. Never seen that before either.
Interesting. There's apparently something wrong with the MARC AEM-7 electrics and Amtrak has been moving them all over the place. In the past month they've been spotted in Philadelphia, Wilmington, and DC/MD as well as at the head of Amtrak trains. Two GP's is very common for Camden Line trains, but three are rare. I once rode a train with 3 locomotives and 3 passenger cars (#853), but I think it was 2 GP40's and a GP39. The diesels are serviced by CSX at the Riverside yard in Baltimore and they're constantly shuffled between there and DC via revenue Camden Line trains.