Railroad Forums 

• This Really Sucks

• General discussion of passenger rail systems not otherwise covered in the specific forums in this category, including high speed rail.
General discussion of passenger rail systems not otherwise covered in the specific forums in this category, including high speed rail.

Moderators: mtuandrew, gprimr1

#1606194  by bostontrainguy

We haven't taken Amtrak in a while due to all of the problems with traveling lately. My wife's mother has taken ill and she wants to go see her next week. I tried to book a trip from Florida to Boston and you can't take a train anymore from anywhere in Florida to Boston? Website says there is no service available. Are you kidding me? This is crazy.

Fooling around with the website, I see that the last train from NYP to BOS leaves earlier than the Star arrival. This is really where traditional schedules would be really helpful!

Fooling around more I see that the Star arrives Washington D.C. at 3:00 PM. There is a Regional that leaves at 3:50 but that is too close. There is the "Night Owl" but that option isn't even offered and I really don't want to make it a two night trip.

I guess we won't be taking Amtrak.
 #1606219  by bostontrainguy

STrRedWolf wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 3:58 pm This is more of a bereavement travel, and your wife needs to get there quick. In this case, you need to take an airplane. Two overnight days will not work in this case.
Yes, I agree. My wife hates flying but I booked Sprit for $201 round trip. Funny thing is Amtrak planned to reinstate the Meteor on Sept 11 but changed their mind and postponed it to October 3rd. That schedule would have worked!
 #1606319  by STrRedWolf

bostontrainguy wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 5:39 pm Yes, I agree. My wife hates flying but I booked Sprit for $201 round trip. Funny thing is Amtrak planned to reinstate the Meteor on Sept 11 but changed their mind and postponed it to October 3rd. That schedule would have worked!
Not really. You can't really schedule someone's death. All you can do is rush down and hope you're in time. A train in comparison is too slow in almost all cases. You must get her down there yesterday, or else the grief felt will be all that much greater.

I wish you and your wife luck getting there.
 #1606330  by bostontrainguy

STrRedWolf wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:28 am
bostontrainguy wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 5:39 pm Yes, I agree. My wife hates flying but I booked Sprit for $201 round trip. Funny thing is Amtrak planned to reinstate the Meteor on Sept 11 but changed their mind and postponed it to October 3rd. That schedule would have worked!
Not really. You can't really schedule someone's death. All you can do is rush down and hope you're in time. A train in comparison is too slow in almost all cases. You must get her down there yesterday, or else the grief felt will be all that much greater.

I wish you and your wife luck getting there.
Thank you.