• third rail shoe

• Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.
Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.

Moderators: mtuandrew, therock, Robert Paniagua

by rail10

What type of third rail shoe is used to connect the third rail of the metrorail system to provide power for the subway cars are those shoes shaped like a wheel for the running rails finally are they designed the same way as found in the New York City,Boston ,Atlanta,Toronto,Chicago,Philly and lax/sfo subway systems?
  by Sand Box John

"rail10"
What type of third rail shoe is used to connect the third rail of the metrorail system to provide power for the subway cars are those shoes shaped like a wheel for the running rails finally are they designed the same way as found in the New York City,Boston ,Atlanta,Toronto,Chicago,Philly and lax/sfo subway systems?

CAF 5011 Greenbelt shop track 1
05 05 2001

Baltimore uses a similar setup. The rolling stock on the Baltimore Metro, Los Angeles Metro and Miami Metrorail are nearly identical to one another. Atlanta's MARTA is built to nearly the same specifications as WMATA's metrorail system. The third rail on NYCT is roughly 3.5" lower then the third rail on WMATA's metrorail.

You will likely find a picture of the third rail shoe mounting on a NYCT car in the photo archive at nycsubway.org

by Robert Paniagua

What about the third rail position inn Boston's Red, Blue & Orange Lines, if the third rail in MBTA is the same clearance as WMATA, then these cars could trainline at least with MBTA's Red Line only up to 4 cars and a 5mph restriction at Harvard's tight turn, I know that sharp curve at Harvard isn't tight enough to preclude 75' cars even though the T's Red line units are only 69' 6" long vs WMATA's 74' 9" long.

by Sand Box John

Robert Paniagua"
What about the third rail position inn Boston's Red, Blue & Orange Lines, if the third rail in MBTA is the same clearance as WMATA, then these cars could trainline at least with MBTA's Red Line only up to 4 cars and a 5mph restriction at Harvard's tight turn, I know that sharp curve at Harvard isn't tight enough to preclude 75' cars even though the T's Red line units are only 69' 6" long vs WMATA's 74' 9" long.

The question was about the method and configuration of the third rail pickup system. I left out BART and MBTA because I do not have sufficient knowledge of the third rail pickup system configuration on those properties.
  by tommyboy6181

As far as I know, the 3rd rail for BART is similar to what WMATA and the other systems use in that they are a top contact setup. The big difference with BART is the wide gauge track and the fact that it uses a 1000 VDC rail compared to 600 on the NYC and Boston systems, and 750VDC for Los Angeles, Atlanta, Baltimore, and Miami. Also, Philadelphia from what I know uses 600 VDC on both their Broad St and Market-Frankford lines. However, MF with the rebuilding of the viaducts might be changing to a side or bottom contact setup. Don't quote me on that however.
  by oknazevad

The MFL has always had bottom-collecting third rail. It is, I believe, along with Metro-North, the only examples of that currently in use.