Railroad Forums 

• Things dont look good for the Colebrookdale Spur

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania

Moderator: bwparker1

#633541  by rob216

thebigham wrote:^What do you mean? Scrapping or a new operator?

Scrapping.
 #633803  by jrevans

rob216 wrote:
thebigham wrote:^What do you mean? Scrapping or a new operator?
Scrapping.
Really? That seems odd that it would be scrapped so soon, especially with steel prices so low.
 #634223  by NYSW3614

This just in-

There's a report that the yard in Boyertown will be pulled up starting today and the the PB&NE engine will be scrapped on site. I actually have to be in the area for business today. I will report on what I find.

The SD45
Last edited by NYSW3614 on Thu Feb 05, 2009 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #634229  by jrevans

Doing some STB search, I found this document, saying that they are working out a sale:
http://www.stb.dot.gov/decisions/readin ... enDocument

Some text at the end says:

=========================
2. The purchase price for the line is set at $2,162,018, and the parties must comply with the other terms of sale discussed above.

3. This decision will become binding on the parties unless the County notifies the Board and ESPN in writing, on or before February 9, 2009, that it is withdrawing its offer to purchase the line.

4. If the County withdraws its offer or does not accept the terms and conditions with a timely written notification, we will serve a decision by February 17, 2009, vacating the prior decision that postponed the effective date of the decision authorizing the abandonment.

=========================

So, they shouldn't be ripping up the line quite yet.... There does appear to be a huge discrepancy in between what the railroad wants for the railroad and what the County wants to pay. Looks to me like the railroad is really trying to profit from this line sale that was bought so cheaply from the State, but that's what companies do.
 #634416  by rob216

NYSW3614 wrote:This just in-

There's a report that the yard in Boyertown will be pulled up starting today and the the PB&NE engine will be scrapped on site. I actually have to be in the area for business today. I will report on what I find.

Joshua

Yes the yard is being pulled up. From my understanding, the town has bought the yard is mat become a parking lot. As for the engine, NO WAY IS IT BEING SCRAPPED. It still runs just fine and will be sent to one of the other lines that needs the extra power.
 #634437  by jrevans

NYSW3614 wrote:As of 16:00 today, all rail in yard and associated tracks except for the main, a passing siding, two street crossings has been pulled up and piled near the main. Switcher remains, unchanged.

The SD45
Wow! Thanks for the update.

So even if the line gets saved, it'll probably be really tough to service customers without a mini-yard there. What about the transfer crane in the parking lot? Is is still standing and is the track to it still in place?
 #635859  by Tom_E_Reynolds

NYSW3614 wrote:As of 16:00 today, all rail in yard and associated tracks except for the main, a passing siding, two street crossings has been pulled up and piled near the main. Switcher remains, unchanged.

The SD45
WOW!

Good thing I got my shots when I did.

I guess we'll see this month what happens.
 #635878  by jrevans

Today is one of the days. February 9, 2009 is when the County has accept the price offer, or withdraw their desire to buy the line. The purchase price for the line is set at $2,162,018.

I haven't seen any postings related to this in the STB reading room yet, so the County didn't back out yet....

If the deal isn't worked out by February 17, 2009, the STB will consider the line abandoned as by their previous decision. (If I'm reading this correctly....)

Oh, I did contact Senator Rob Wonderling ( http://www.senatorwonderling.com/ ) last week. He's the new Chairman of the state Senate Transportation Committee, and has an interest in local railroad issues. He promptly replied and said that he'd look into it and get back to me. I wish that I would have contacted him sooner, as there's not much that can be done now if the County backs out.

Rob Palmer posted a great picture of the RBM&N 425 crossing Route 100 on the line back in 1992:
 #635902  by NE2

jrevans wrote:If the deal isn't worked out by February 17, 2009, the STB will consider the line abandoned as by their previous decision. (If I'm reading this correctly....)
The East Penn has to file a consummation notice (example), since abandonment authority is permissive, not mandatory.
 #636760  by blockline4180

jrevans wrote: I have no idea what that means for the future of the line, but it can't be good....
What is good lately?? Sadly, nothing really!!

I knew the minute I posted the article back in May of 2008 that line was doomed, now more so, especially in this dire economy.

I guess Pa. doesn't have enough rails to trails in their state!! :P :(
 #643819  by rob216

From a good source of mine, I have heard that county has decided to go and purchase the line. The have paid the 10% percent of the cost already. As for the yard in the town, the town has bought the yard and will use it for what ever they will use it for. The only pieces left in town is the main and the run around track. Hope all goes well for the county on the rail system.
 #644213  by rwk

Wow, that's a great picture of 425 at 100. When did they run train rides there? Was it just for one weekend or something? Was it on the Pottstown-Boyertown line? Where did you board? I can't imagine 425 traveling anywhere on NS now, even just a ferry move. (Like to Port Jervis, or a shortline) They gave up the Pennsburg, Kutztown, and Boyertown lines to the East Penn in July, 1995. From 1985 until the early 90's BMR/RBMN steam traveled over Conrail lines whether on public excursions (Sept 1985 with 2102, Dec 1985 with 425 to Norristown, fall 1987 with 2102, Dec 1987 with 425 to Norristown, 1988 with 2102 and RDG and PRR diesels, remember 2102 to Gettysburg from S. Hamburg and PRR E8's S. Hamburg to Horseshoe Curve in summer 1988) or ferry moves like to Port Jervis in 1986/1987, Emmaus in 1991(2102)-92-93-94(425), Pottstown in 1992. I'm looking forward to seeing 425 this May 16 for the Tunkhannock rail excursion, last time I saw it was July, 1992 from Leesport-Jim Thorpe. I haven't ridden a BMR/RBMN train since July, 1992. I also rode behind 2102 from Emmaus-Pennsburg Sept 1991, and 2102 from S. Hamburg-Temple spring 1988, 425 from Temple Railfan Weekend II 1987, meeting the E8's at Leesport, and my first time at BMR summer 1986 from Temple with the blue diesel switcher pulling an RDC.