Discussion of Canadian Passenger Rail Services such as AMT (Montreal), Go Transit (Toronto), VIA Rail, and other Canadian Railways and Transit

Moderator: Ken V

by rr2u

If you buy a discounted ticket there are no refunds and no date changes. You're really screwed if you can't go. So I was wondering if you can sell it to someone else (of the same sex I would imagine!). They're supposed to check ID on the train but I wonder how diligent they are in doing that? The advantage for the buyer is they could buy a ticket at the last minute (which is probably best for the seller if they have a last minute change in their life). If you wait until the last minute Via Rail charges full price, just like the airlines. So this is good for both seller and buyer.
  by marquisofmississauga

rr2u wrote:... They're supposed to check ID on the train but I wonder how diligent they are in doing that? ...
I've heard of this "checking ID" for Amtrak but never for VIA. The only exception is for e-tickets, but these are quite rare at the moment. (They are issued for unstaffed stops - or stations where an agent is not on duty at train time - and photo-ID is theoretically required.) The only time I have ever seen a conductor or service manager ask for ID with a regular VIA ticket is from a pass-holder. I have travelled many times with friends who are VIA retirees and if they are recognised by the SM their ID (pass) is not asked for. I have never travelled on someone else's ticket nor sold one of mine. I would have possible difficulties because, as a frequent VIA traveller, I know many of the crew. But if you are an infrequent VIA passenger you should have no problem. Of course, I am not advocating violating VIA's conditions of travel, especially item #1 on the back of the ticket. I am merely answering your question based on my decades of frequent train travel.