Railroad Forums 

• The "tooter" in Los Fresnos

• Pertaining to all railroad subjects, past and present, in the American West, including California, Arizona, Nevada, Colorado, New Mexico, Wyoming, Montana, and The Dakotas. For specific railroad topics, please see the Fallen Flags and Active Railroads categories.
Pertaining to all railroad subjects, past and present, in the American West, including California, Arizona, Nevada, Colorado, New Mexico, Wyoming, Montana, and The Dakotas. For specific railroad topics, please see the Fallen Flags and Active Railroads categories.

Moderator: Komachi

#133442  by Rockingham Racer

About a year and a half ago, the UP reactivated for regular service its Harlingen (TX) subdivision. The sub is 18 miles long, and is used for directional running [northbound] for trains between Brownsville's new yard in Olmito and Harlingen, where trains then continue north towards Houston on the Brownsville Sub.

Los Fresnos [pop. 4512], which is 3 miles north of the UP yard, has multiple crossings, only one of which [Rt. 100] is automatically protected, and only with flashers.
All other crossings in the city have only crossbucks.
The speed limit thru Los Fresnos on the railroad is a rip-roaring 10 MPH, due to track conditions.

One engineer finds it necessary to sound the horn continuously--at whatever hour he passes-- while "speeding" at 10 MPH through the area: 16 times for each crossing, to be exact. I call this engineer "the tooter".

Here's my question: what would possibly be the reason for such prolific horn sounding?

Don't get me wrong: I'm not a NIMBY, and I like the sound of train horns.