Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by Otto Vondrak

I can't remember if we talked about this already... has anyone ever noticed a 6" high oval blue-and-white decal of a penguin with a Conrail logo on his chest applied to random M-1's and M-3's?

If you've seen it, you know what I'm talking about. Anyone recall what this is all about?

-otto-

by MACTRAXX

OTTO: FOR THE LONGEST TIME I WONDERED WHAT THESE WERE FOR!! My hunch was that it was something to do with the air-conditioning on these MNCR cars - some M1 cars still have them-a small oval decal in blue and white with a penguin graphic with the Conrail logo on his belly. They obviously were from the 1976-1982 CR era. I have seen these NO PLACE ELSE! Does anyone know exactly what these were for? MACTRAXX

by DutchRailnut

The mark of the Air conditioning gang in Harmon/Stamford.
it was last applied in Conrail days.

by Trains

can anyone get a picture of this?

by Dieter

The Harmon Stamford gang did that work back then?

Too bad we didn't know that at the time - instead of berating the Conductors, we would have known whom to throw rocks at! :wink:

Dieter.

by RRGUY

Back in 1980 few if any H&H cars had working air conditioners. Conrail actually had the audacity to call this "Operation Penguin". They stuck penguin stickers on the cars that alledgedly had working A/C's even though most of them weren't working at all. It aggravated the heck out of the passengers as they were left looking at a penguin sticker while sweating their nuts off. The only amazing part is the longevity of the stickers. Twenty-five years of acid car washes and a few of them are still stuck to the units. Funny stuff. If I run ito one, I'll take a photo.

by Otto Vondrak

I think someone told me that somehow Conrail's Altoona shop was involved... but that doesn't make sense to me either.

It's been a while since I've seen a penguin sticker. Of course, I don't ride as much as I used to.

-otto-

by DutchRailnut

Altoona had nothing to do with the cool gang