Railroad Forums 

• The Flying Yankee

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#1520868  by Backshophoss

IRM has an operating CB&Q Zephyr set,powered by an E-6.
The other Zephyr sets have the purpose built power cars and Winton 201a prime mover.
 #1520960  by b&m 1566

ProRail wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 11:53 am At this point the best thing to happen is that the Flying Yankee gets put back together, stuffed and mounted as a display again. There are just too many logistical problems involving wyes, reliable engine power, and the fixed seating capacity of it to warrant throwing more money down the hole. You don't see any of the surviving CB&Q Zephyrs in operating condition for the same reasons.
That would certainly be better than letting it sit to rot away at the Hobo, but who are we kidding the state has no place to put it and aren't even trying to raise the funds to move it. You honestly think the state will maintain it, if they stuff if for display somewhere? It will be forgotten and neglected (not that it hasn't already been forgotten). The state has backed themselves into a corner and unless they become proactive and starts to give a damn the outcome is not looking so great; the restoration group isn't even worth mentioning anymore, there's probably no members left, so in my view the state has 100% accountability at this point.
 #1606714  by CSRR573

Perhaps the long talked about storage shed in Conway will be the FY new home
 #1606716  by Calebharris39

I believe it might actually end up in Bartlett not Conway
 #1606742  by MRY

Since the New FY people have been talking to CSRR for some time (we don't know how long) and the Conway storage shed has been in the works for some time, perhaps the storage shed's actual intention was indeed for the FY. I wish them luck, perhaps they can also get some advice from the 470 folks on how to get $$$.
 #1608701  by Who

The New Hampshire Preservation Alliance has added the Flying Yankee to the "Seven to Save". It came to my attention from a newspaper clip, but I had to subscribe to read the article, so I just went to their website.
 #1609202  by jbvb

The Flying Yankee Association greatly appreciate being added to the NH Preservation Alliance's "Seven To Save".

We've been working on a new start for the Flying Yankee for 18 months. We have funds pledged toward reuniting the carbodies with the parts, in a purpose-built structure. But we want to avoid the business model used by previous restoration attempts. We're in discussions with the State of NH, but until an agreement is reached, we aren't calling in pledges or offering membership.

https://flyingyankee.org/
 #1614360  by BandA

Just watched Silver Streak (1934), the fictionalized movie staring the Pioneer Zephyr, which was apparently identical to The Flying Yankee. CB&Q went on to buy about 10 articulated zephyr trainsets of varying lengths. How many of these diesel-electric hybrid trainsets were built by Budd? The SP developed similar streamlined trains but they were not in service for very long so I imagine there were mechanical problems.
 #1614366  by S1f3432

As per the the Second Diesel Spotters Guide by Jerry Pinkepank, Kalmbach Books 1973:
EMD powered articulated trainsets were the UP M-10000 (2-1934), CB&Q 9900- the original Zephyr (4-1934), BM-MEC 6000- the Flying Yankee (2-1935), QB&Q 9901- The first Twin Zephyr becoming in 1936 the Sam Houston Zephyr and CB&Q 9902- the first Twin Zephyr becoming in 1936 the CB&Q-Alton Ozark State Zephyr (both built 4-1935), and CB&Q 9903- the Mark Twain Zephyr (4-1935). Subsequent production were the various shovel nose, box cab and pre E unit locomotives hauling trains of light weight cars. CB&Q's shovel nosed power cars and locomotives 9904, 9905, 9906A-B, 9907A-B and 9908 were similar in design to the articulated trainsets but were separate locomotives not articulated with the trains.
UP M10001 and M10002 turret cab streamliners were articulated with the train while M10003-M10007 had conventional couplings. These were followed by EMD boxcabs 511-512, B&O 50 and AT&SF 1-1 which were the predecessors of the E-unit line.
 #1614442  by BandA

I was more interested in the Budd lineage. The UP M-10000 & successors were not Budd products, and were pretty ugly imho. Interesting that they were aluminum body rather than stainless. The Flying Yankee and the various Zephyrs, and the tugboat Luna (not a Budd!) were diesel electric or as we call it today, hybrid vehicles. The diesel locomotives of the 1930s-1960s were all mechanically coupled to the drive wheels, right? And the 1950s RDCs were hydraulically coupled like an automobile transmission. You look at the Flying Yankee or an RDC or a Metroliner or an Amfleet or a Budd dome and you immediately know they are all from the same family.
 #1614447  by jbvb

The Pioneer Zephyr, Flying Yankee and subsequent articulated Zephyrs were descendants of Budd's experiments with Michelin rubber-tired railroad vehicles (think Montreal Metro wheels under an odd swiss army knife 2-car train on the D&RGW). The diesel-electric drive was based on EMC's motor car experience.
 #1614448  by S1f3432

The locomotives/trains I mentioned were all built with electric transmission, as mentioned derived from EMD's motor car production. The only mechanical drives applied to passenger equipment I have info about are the Budd RDC and the Baldwin/Pullman-Standard Train X sold to NYC and NH in 1955.