Railroad Forums 

• The F45

• Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.
Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, NJ Vike

#172028  by David Hutchinson

Any truth to the report in the latest RAILPACE that the F45 is being readied for service? They reported a new/rebuilt 20 cylinder prime mover on the property for her. Also, what was the original number of the unit? Was it 6630? And, what scheme was it delivered in?

#172043  by sallenparks

Railpace is pretty good with infoso there might be a chance.Dont remember her origanal # but she is a former BN and came in BN green.

#172219  by GOLDEN-ARM

That "pile" was one cold, drafty SOB, to run in the winter time. I hated getting one of those "F's" on the train, as a leader. The fans loved them, but they were miserable, for the crews. Let's not forget all the smoke and fumes that were constantly being forced into the cabs either.......... :( Gimme an ALCO, or one of the SD's instead. Even the 1800's were better units, as far as being leaders. Those cowl units were only good for trailers, if you could keep them running long enough. Some folks forget, we used to start out with 6 or 8 units on a train, knowing that only 3 or 4 would still be running, at the other end of the run! That's no joke either, that's how we ran them. Those junkers from the BN were good for 2 things. Depositing copious amounts of oil on everything within a 300 foot radius of the exhaust stack, and giving the crew excersise, running back and forth through the consist all day, attempting to re-start the locos, while getting covered in that oily rain, while doing it !!!!! Regards :P

#172224  by LCJ

Yeah, but -- were they any good?

And what's so bad about oily rain? Geesh! You're not a real railroader unless you have black dots on all of your clothes!

The WC guys didn't care much for them either. Hot in summer, cold in winter.

#172226  by GOLDEN-ARM

Ah, my "bright ray of sunshine". Good to see you, LCJ. Yeah, they were good. They prevented rust and corrosion from accumulating on the roofs of nearby freight cars. I still have a few of my "favorite" shirts, in the back of the closet, with those spots. (ever notice how the spots turn into "snowflakes", as the oil seeps into the threads, and starts to expand, before it dries.) I don't think any crews liked those enormous, drafty cabs. Well, the "Hammies" might have liked 'em. More room for all those grips, and coolers full of "Lebanon Bologna sandwiches", they were so famous for :wink: One series of engines I will never miss running. Regards :-D

#172239  by LCJ

That's lebnun bologna.

#172255  by GOLDEN-ARM

Is that "Why uh, is that YOUR Lebnun Bologna samich, in that box, ole boy?" I used to hear that all the time, at GI-8, or at Enola. Remember, every sentence began with "Why-Uh....." Never did figure that one out. Just local dialect, I reckon. How about "Why Uh, is that yur piece of shoo-fly pie, ole boy"? Maybe things were a little different, out there in Conway. (still hammies, I guess?) Regards :-D

#172575  by LCJ

Why uh...Yeah I heard that a lot around Hbg-Enola, too.

Pittsburghers are different. Harrisburg is more German anscestry, while Pgh is more Eastern European (pirogies, not lebnun balogna).

#172589  by Lackawanna484

yinz be tawkin in tat furrin dialect...

(or was that yu-unz, it's been a while)

#172622  by Jtgshu

Nice - im not the only person (and railroader) in the world that eats Lebanon Bologna!!!!

Gotta love how the room clears out when you take a Lebanon sandwich out!!!

:-)

#172699  by GOLDEN-ARM

Okay then, when (and if) you stay at the Riverfront Inn, in Harrisburg, do you take out your utility knife, and cut the carpet out from under the bed, for use in your car trunk, or to make door mats, for your house? If you answered yes, you could be a Hammie! Do you go to a buffet restaurant, with your coat pockets packed with ziploc bags, so you can eat for the next 2 days, without leaving your room? Those HBG guys had quite the reputation, around the areas where they stayed AFHT. Those guys even carried hotplates, and frying pans, just so they could cook up those Lebanon bologna sandwiches, in the room. Those were the days....... :(

#172975  by ANDY117

I like the looks of that one. Why don't they give it 3614's Prime Mover?

#173196  by jmp883

Jtgshu wrote:
Nice - im not the only person (and railroader) in the world that eats Lebanon Bologna!!!!

Lebanon Bologna.....wow! I've lived in NJ since 1973 and have missed LB ever since. Can't find a butcher shop, deli, or grocery store anywhere in northern NJ that carries it (or has even heard of it)!

....now I'm hungy for it....... :-D

#173207  by Lackawanna484

jmp883 wrote:Jtgshu wrote:

Lebanon Bologna.....wow! I've lived in NJ since 1973 and have missed LB ever since. Can't find a butcher shop, deli, or grocery store anywhere in northern NJ that carries it (or has even heard of it)!

....now I'm hungy for it....... :-D

Like trying to find Taylor pork roll anywhere outside NJ. Don't even bother, other than a few places in Miami where all the retirees live