Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by Lirr168

capecodlocoguy wrote:Keep in mind that the engineer is the only person on the train that sits behind a window that can break. All other windows are Lexan and can withstand almost anything.
I for one was not aware of this fact; why is it that the engineer's window is not shatterproof?

by Clean Cab

The windshield of most trains is almost identical to that used on cars. It can shatter, but not totally break, unless it is struck with something quite large/heavy. I've had one windshield shattered on me and I hope to never have another one!!!

by Lirr168

David Telesha wrote:Shatter proof does not mean it can't break...

Shatter proof means the glass will remain a sheet and not fragment into a million tiny dangerous pieces.
Right, I understand that, poor phrasing on my part. Let me elaborate: why not make the windshield, the only protection available to the engineer, the same quality as that protecting the passengers? I assume there is a very good reason for this, I am interested to find out.

by Clean Cab

Because Lexan scratches easily. Can you imagine how long it would take for the windshield to become useless? Only a day or two I'd be willing to guess.

by Lirr168

Thanks capecodloco. I didn't even think of that, but it makes perfect sense looking at the windows in the passenger cabin of the MUs - most of them, especially on the Budd cars, are horribly scratched up.

by Nasadowsk

Who knows? One of these days, the superstrong, non scratching plastic might be found. Or maybe it'll be a new type of glass.

FWIW, windscreens in aircraft can and do shatter - it's quite rare though. And yes, there's a 'chicken gun' test, though i believe they used frozen ice cream or Jell-o, just like they do for R&D with jet engines - only the 'real' FAA tests are done with dead chickens (dyed black so they show up on high speed film).

It's quite something to see a PW4000 slice up multiple birds at once - and the thing *still* keeps running!