Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by dc700

Sean W. wrote:
DutchRailnut wrote:Bottom line is liability.
I have had people witness a suicide and then sue railroad for seeing it.
or parents getting upset cause a train hit Bambi and little johnny saw it.
The most terrifying thing I ever saw out the window was three kids walking a canoe across the track south of Irvington ( I saw this from the train ) . It resulted in a bone jarring stop and some good yelling.

by Long Island 7285

Once I was on a train and we hit a dog between Locust Manor and Laurelton.

I never saw anything like it before, but I had no reason to sue the LIRR for it. Yes it was gruesome and took a while to get over, but thats life, I chose to watch the tracks go by that day and I saw it.

Are the windows in the center door on the M7s Lexan or "real glass" they have no wipers on them.

Doesn't the FRA require bullet proof and or object proof glass in any location where a window of any kind is located. Look at the windows on buses and limos.

<<ONCE AGAIN EDITED FOR SOME GRAMMAR AND SPELLING BY MODERATOR>>

by MN Jim

Why would the moderator take it upon himself to edit someone else's poor spelling and/or grammar? If they can't write intelligibly, that's their problem. If it's a huge bother, the moderator (and/or anyone else bothered by the spelling/grammar issues) should send a private message to the poster, not edit the post.

The moderator (in my opinion) should be here to enforce forum policy, as well as participate in discussions. Content that otherwise conforms to site policy should not be touched by anyone except the author.

Just my two cents' worth.

Jim

by Noel Weaver

MN Jim wrote:Why would the moderator take it upon himself to edit someone else's poor spelling and/or grammar? If they can't write intelligibly, that's their problem. If it's a huge bother, the moderator (and/or anyone else bothered by the spelling/grammar issues) should send a private message to the poster, not edit the post.

The moderator (in my opinion) should be here to enforce forum policy, as well as participate in discussions. Content that otherwise conforms to site policy should not be touched by anyone except the author.

Just my two cents' worth.

Jim
I agree with you, why should the moderator care if somebody wants to
show their ignorance or just make a fool of themself.
I do it occasionally and so do all of us, we hit the wrong key like a k
instead of a j or a s when we wanted a d.
To look at some of the stuff on these forums, I have to wonder if some of
the participants have made it through grammar school, much less high
school. If they made it through the two, then what were these schools
doing?
Noel Weaver

by ElTrain

I took my 2 1/2 year old son on his 1st train ride on Sunday (Hastings to GCT). On the southbound trip we were pushed by diesel (P32?) and the Engineer had closed off the front window. I missed it, but my son delighted in seeing the river, boats, other trains and the like. We all had our 1st ride in an M-7 on the return. Unfortunately, there were 2 deadhead cars on the front so we looked out the side window.

I miss the front window but after reading posts from some railroad folks, I can understand the reason for closing them off.
  by Head-end View

Well Eltrain, even if the 1st pair had been open, you still can't see out the front of an M-7, so it doesn't much matter. I agree the engineers need to have the equipment set up so they can do their job effectively. I'm just really disappointed that the retirement of the M-1's spells the end of 35 years of good railfanning. :(

BTW, I'm glad your son found the trip exciting; my rail buff "career" started similarly, riding NYC el trains with my Dad in the 1950's. :-D

by Guest

well don't get let down, you still have the M3-M6's plus don't the Shoreliners have a railfan window?

by Silverliner II

gbaseballd wrote:well don't get let down, you still have the M3-M6's plus don't the Shoreliners have a railfan window?
M3's, M4's, and M6's: Yes!

Shoreliner cab cars: Only if the glass hasn't been blacked over, or covered by other means.

by Guest

Silverliner II wrote:
gbaseballd wrote:well don't get let down, you still have the M3-M6's plus don't the Shoreliners have a railfan window?
M3's, M4's, and M6's: Yes!

Shoreliner cab cars: Only if the glass hasn't been blacked over, or covered by other means.
Silverliner windows are blackend out? Wow. And also don't forget the M2.

by li7039

u can see out the

M1 M2 M3 M4 M6 windows

by Silverliner II

gbaseballd wrote:Silverliner windows are blackend out? Wow. And also don't forget the M2.
No, none of the SEPTA Silverliner windows are blacked out, nor are our Bombardier door windows in the cab cars....I was referring to the Metro-North Shoreliner Bomber cab cars.

And didn't I mention the M2's? LOL!!
  by Terrapin Station

Head-end View wrote:Well Eltrain, even if the 1st pair had been open, you still can't see out the front of an M-7, so it doesn't much matter.
Not true. You can see out the front of an M7 just fine, you are just looking through two windows instead of one. Plus, as I recently found out the first time I did this, you can also clearly see all of the engineer's displays, meaning you can see the speed, braking, tractive effort, and doors. VERY COOL. That said, I'd still rather ride the railfan window of an M1/2/3/4/6 because you are closer to the action.

---RailfanWindow.com

by Robert Paniagua

Yeap, I like to see out front too off the M2/4/6 combo when I ride the New Haven Line, especially going towards GCT. You don't get to do that on Amtrak.
  by Head-end View

Terrapin: M-N must have the cab-door window uncovered then. I didn't know this. 'Cause on LIRR there is some kind of plate or curtain over that M-7 window, always. Absolutely no seeing thru on LIRR M-7's. Hmmm, maybe I'll take a ride on Metro-North sometime this summer.
Interesting............Thanks! :-)

by N340SG

Head-end,

The plate on the LIRR M-7 cab door window can be raised or lowered to block or permit seeing through.
You just have not had any luck on this. I have seen them run both ways.

Tom