Railroad Forums 

• The end of CP reign at the D&H and the D.M.&E

• Discussion relating to the past and present operations of CPR. Official web site can be found here: CPKCR.com. Includes Kansas City Southern. There is also a KCS sub-forum for prior operations: kansas-city-southern-and-affiliates-f153.html
Discussion relating to the past and present operations of CPR. Official web site can be found here: CPKCR.com. Includes Kansas City Southern. There is also a KCS sub-forum for prior operations: kansas-city-southern-and-affiliates-f153.html

Moderators: Komachi, Ken V

#1144052  by Minneapolitan

There isn't really any potential online traffic on the MILW past Chamberlain, is there? Not that there's anything on the DM&E west end either, but it's worth asking.
Besides Rapid City itself, nothing. Absolutely nothing. It's just...a great void out there.
 #1144827  by mtuandrew

Minneapolitan wrote:
There isn't really any potential online traffic on the MILW past Chamberlain, is there? Not that there's anything on the DM&E west end either, but it's worth asking.
Besides Rapid City itself, nothing. Absolutely nothing. It's just...a great void out there.
Nothing on the MILW either? Well, at least the C&NW surveyors got the free ice water.
 #1144964  by Minneapolitan

Hehe...yeah, I dunno. I also hear the government won't let the Pierre-Rapid City (PRC) section go abandoned because of the few grain elevators that are out there. So who the hell knows what's going on? It's exhausting to think about this stuff sometimes. All I know is that if Tracy West gets sold, Waseca better damn well get brought into the Soo Line contract. We're way underpaid here. Sounds like Harrison also wants to do that for simplicity's sake, but again...who the hell knows? That's all I care to say about that.
 #1155868  by jakeroberts

DME is probably on the blocks but I doubt D&H since CP has its own tracks to run right into Albany NY. I am not sure what the trackage fees are to exchange cars to NS or CSX but Hunter has to get start getting 80 car trains to Albany on a daily basis from ND. And 80 is just the start. In 2011/12 when I lived in Brandon MB CN trains were almost non-existent. Within a year, both CN and CP were shipping out daily oil trains from ND and SK.
 #1162464  by rovetherr

The oil trains running into Albany are well above 80 cars, 100+ is more the rule than the exception. The tank farm can handle 120 cars at a time, 4 40 car tracks, with more being talked about. So it would appear that for the short/medium term, the D+H is off the table.
 #1168622  by CPHOG

Bershire Hathaway made an offer to buy out pershing square capital, to try and save Bill Ackman for his losings in JC penny and herbalife, Pershing square declined the offer so far. CP put up 600 miles of the DM&E for sale and when BHP Billition put in an offer CP pull it out from the market. I dont think CP knows what it wants to do, we enter the Hunter Harrison era here at CP, he's the former CN ceo, and I can safely say we cant wait for him to leave and finally retire, hopefully KCS liquidates some of its Ferro Mex holdings and scoops up this place, although we have been seeing a ton of NS power running on our main, and I know its not the power sharing deal railroads have set up with each other, runnin crude to Jersey for refining.. anyone heard anything similar?
 #1168997  by Tadman

Like it or not, you guys have a solid 3-5 years at Camp Hunter. The upside is that he'll probably put the place in good enough shape to stay independent for years to come. The downside is that he's a very rigorous taskmaster - it may be more of an asskicker to stay independent under him than welcome new masters from another railroad...
 #1172621  by CPF363

CPHOG wrote:Bershire Hathaway made an offer to buy out pershing square capital, to try and save Bill Ackman for his losings in JC penny and herbalife, Pershing square declined the offer so far. CP put up 600 miles of the DM&E for sale and when BHP Billition put in an offer CP pull it out from the market. I dont think CP knows what it wants to do, we enter the Hunter Harrison era here at CP, he's the former CN ceo, and I can safely say we cant wait for him to leave and finally retire, hopefully KCS liquidates some of its Ferro Mex holdings and scoops up this place, although we have been seeing a ton of NS power running on our main, and I know its not the power sharing deal railroads have set up with each other, runnin crude to Jersey for refining.. anyone heard anything similar?
So, is the DM&E still for sale? Is all of the NS power confined to the former MILW lines in the Upper Midwest or are you referring to all of the NS power on the D&H?
 #1174303  by CPHOG

All we know in St. Paul is that 600 miles or so are for sale of the DM&E all west of Tracy Mn into the dakotas and that little part of wyoming, we run NS power all the way from the Harvey and Enderlin to elkhart in, we dont hear a peep about the D&H, I attended a townhall meeting held by Hunter in st paul, and he was saying that he might sell off portions of it, he wouldnt give anyone a striaght answer on anything, he would beat around the bush and move on, so not sure whats going on out east of elkhart or windsor ca..........I know that all the guys we have furlough here get a phone call if they want to join maintenance of way till they get called back, gonna put in ctc all they way from portal to glenwood, we have like 700 managers all across the company training to be conductors and engineers and all thier training is on the DM&E lines, and at the townhall he was saying something about forging a packt with KCS to run freight south of KC, so alot of the furloughed guys are in missouri and iowa fixin up the track.......
 #1272676  by TB Diamond

Have not seen any new reports on the sale of the DM&E west of Tracy, MN by CP to GWI.

Is this proposed sale still an ongoing affair?

Thanks for any information.
 #1272683  by JayBee

TB Diamond wrote:Have not seen any new reports on the sale of the DM&E west of Tracy, MN by CP to GWI.

Is this proposed sale still an ongoing affair?

Thanks for any information.
The sale closes on the last day of May 2014. RCPE(Rapid City, Pierre & Eastern) is getting the ex-DM&E GP38Qs (de-turboed GP40s), DM&E SD40Q(SD40-3 if you prefer) 6050-6052, 6054-6055, and all 52 IC&E 6400 series SD40-2s. CP wanted out of the leases on the 6400 series. Two of the IC&E 6400 SD40-2 locomotives have been repainted as RCPE 3420 and 3421, probably to "Show the Flag" on Opening Day. Surprisingly they are not in G&W orange paint.
 #1272776  by atsf sp

JayBee wrote: Two of the IC&E 6400 SD40-2 locomotives have been repainted as RCPE 3420 and 3421, probably to "Show the Flag" on Opening Day. Surprisingly they are not in G&W orange paint.
They are in GW orange. https://www.flickr.com/photos/47104480@N07/14023765347/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;