Railroad Forums 

• The classes formerly known as LETP

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

#648  by Guest

As I understand it, the 3 bottom LETP classes were furloughed today. So much for progress...

#665  by Jtgshu

Ouch.......i hope it isn't true, but I wouldn't be surprised.....

The extra engineer I had tonight doubled out (got out twice in one day) a couple of times this week.......

But they are laying off people......sheesh

#669  by Guest

Jtgshu wrote:Ouch.......i hope it isn't true, but I wouldn't be surprised.....

The extra engineer I had tonight doubled out (got out twice in one day) a couple of times this week.......

But they are laying off people......sheesh
yep it's true. I'm one of the roughly 30 or so that were sent packin :(

And yes, In the past few weeks I've heard from many how busy things have been. Lists have been moving, people doubling out,... The good news is they MAY plan on starting classes up again late spring 2005 & we're first in line :roll:

#672  by Jtgshu

Sorry to hear that.......that really sucks......

Welcome to life on the railroad, a world of uncertainty in EVERYTHING.....

I wouldn't be surprised if they start back up sooner than that - whatever NJT does they shoot themselves in the foot, so hopefully they will realize that this is a mistake and get the ball rolling again.

Would you start back at the beginning when they start hiring again or would it start ALL over again?????

Did you hear anything about any trainmen being furloughed? There are rumors floating around again, but I saw some of the most recent hires on the job bulletin this week............

Good luck in whatever you decide to do!!!

#676  by TAMR213

Why would this happen? I thought NJT was short on crews and all. And I thought they would need even more if they wanted to expand at all.

#678  by Guest

Would you start back at the beginning when they start hiring again or would it start ALL over again?????
That's not completely clear at this time. We were told that depending where you were in the program, and how long your away will be the deciding facrors. 1 class was in the process of qualifying the yards. Another was in the middle of 1B, and the third got assigned divisions and qualified a few lines. All we were told was we would either start from scratch or have a "refresher" to get back up to speed.
Did you hear anything about any trainmen being furloughed? There are rumors floating around again, but I saw some of the most recent hires on the job bulletin this week............
Trainmen classes have been cancled for some time, but the atrishion rate of trainmen apparently far exceeds that of engineers. That combined with the length of training for engineers -vs- trainmen in my opinion makes the likelyhood of furloughs minimal. As a matter of fact, in our letters it said that "Our best projection is that we may have Assistant Conductor vacancies beginning in 2005." so that says to me that those guys are safe. but who knows........

All I know is I'm out of a job and Bitter. I specifically asked the personel department upon my hire if there was any chance of being furloughed & was assured that would not be an issue. I understand circumstances change, but many of us left carreers to persue these positions. Then proceeeded to pardon my french... bust our asses to conform to the strict regimine....ahhhh forget it... no sence bitching. All I can say is that I highly doubt I'll take the same gamble next time around when presented with it.

#684  by Jtgshu

I don't know what to say......it just really sucks, im so sorry for you, and I don't blame you for your bitterness and anger!!!! Hell, im mad too!!!

If they started hiring trainmen this year - I was told not too long ago that they are going to have only 4 classes this year of trainmen - would they give you first dibs and let you go into that program? I know it would be a step down in some respects, but still, its work...

Although if I were you, I don't know if I would want to deal with NJT again - yes, it is a part of railroading, but mainly freight railroading, where there are up and downturn in traffic, NOT passenger service, and NOT at NJT.

When I hired in 01, we were told that they were going to be hiring for the forseeable future (which they did - 2 and 1/2 yeras worth of hiring) because of all the new services going to be opened up in the coming years, and they would need Conductors in particular to run these services - namely the Cutoff, Mom, W. Trenton, etc, etc, etc, and it takes time to become a qualified Conductor (about 2 years or so) so they need to hire in advance. Im sure the same story was told to the LETP classes also.

Hang in there!!!! UP is hiring - they or another RR might snap you up in a minute becuase you already have some training!! But you might have to move across country or out of the area or something.....

Good luck!
 #746  by Butlershops

to get work on a shortline or regional? They NYSW has phases where they are hurting for engineers.

Do you guys continue to accrue seniority while furloughed?

#754  by JoeG

NJT has increased the number of trains it runs, and has announced future increases, but has furloughed its LETP training classes already in progress?? It boggles my mind! Is the plan to make workers put in more overtime?
For NJT employees here, can the RR make people do overtime, or is it voluntary? Are there any limitations on overtime other than the Hours of Service law?
Aside from the unfairness to the LETP members, this seems like another bonehead, penny-wise-pound-foolish NJT management decision.

#786  by Jtgshu

I don't think there is anything that they can do to "force" overtime on us.....Particular jobs (whatever trains you run) might have built in overtime, and you have to work it, because that is what you job does, but if you are on a regular job, you are not required to wrok your days off, but you could if you wanted to for overtime, but if you are on the on call list, you have to take the job they give you, and what you work is purely determined by hours of service.

Meaning that you can work a job, go on rest for 8 hours, then go to work again. Now, realize that the crew callers give you 4 hours notice before your sign up, (so they have woken you up after you finally got to sleep) and you have to get yourself back together, shower, eat, etc, and get to the sign up location. If you are called to a terminal other than your own, you can claim deadhead (paid extra time to get there) but you still have to be at that location in four hours.

Sometimes when its real busy, people on the extra list will work every eight hours or so. Not an easy thing to do, and people wonder why fatigue is such a problem on the railroads today....

#797  by Mudvalve

Sorry to hear about this. To leave ones job to start another and then get laid off is tough, esp in this job market. This may very well come back to bite NJT in the rear.

#810  by mb

I'm sure NJT will bite the bullet for this sooner or later. Keep a positive attitude and good things will come.
 #855  by ex-SE

Butlershops wrote:Do you guys continue to accrue seniority while furloughed?
Well kinda. As Transit is no longer hireing engineers, the roster is staying put. Once they begin classes again, "we" will be the first called back in senority order that we were let go. Essentally our "numbers" will roughly stay the same, but time vested will not.
 #973  by JoeRailRoad

It is my understanding Amtrak (Eastern Region) is hiring locomotive engineers.

Also Conrail may be hiring engineers.

Good luck to all those who were furloughed.

#1109  by TR-00

It's a bad break that the classes were furloughed, but it is exactly what is faced by young employees on most railroads. Work for any of the "biggies" and you'll find yourself in the street as soon as things slow down. You'll be subject to call back at any time, and have no promise that you will be retained. It's the same in every industry. No one gives a gold plated promise of eternal employment.

Those furloughed now have some decisions to make. Find another job in a different industry, migrate to a different railroad and take your chances (remember: same circus, different clowns) or select and apply for one of the jobs on the list that NJT provided for you. Yes, the jobs are entry level, and not the most pleasant. But it gives youy the opportunity to continue your railroad retirement (very important) and you know that when the call back comes, you'll be moving up economically.

Many of us in the unions fought long and hard against the furloughs, and also to have NJT provide other employment offers. NJT can not simply "create" jobs. You have been offered placement wherever there are openings (including in the bus division).

Now is the time to stop feeling sorry for yourself and get into action. Stick with us, knowing that sooner or later you will be back in class, or find work somewhere else. While you are at it, take the time to contact your state assembly representative and state senator and demand that they approve a budget that provides NJT with the funding needed to fulfill its mission.