• The Blue Line extension celebrates 5 years

• Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.
Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.

Moderators: mtuandrew, therock, Robert Paniagua

by tommyboy6181

December 18, 2004 marked the opening of the new Morgan Blvd and Largo Town Center stations. It also marked the first extension beyond the original 103 mile system and the first extension of the Blue across the Capital Beltway in P.G. County. What are some of your thoughts with this extension: things you like, don't, etc? This could be on anything with the extension. If there is anything you would have done different had you designed this extension, feel free to share also.

A few quick thoughts are:
1) Metro finally got smart and built redundant elevators in these stations (and also with NY Ave)
2) I really like the new style canopies in the stations, but then I have always been partial to some of the peaked roof stations.
3) Lighting post design in the open area of the platform on these 2 stations looks better than the NY Ave station (even though they are very similar)
4) Signage finally has been improved in these 2 stations (along with NY Ave) and should be implemented across the system eventually.
5) I wonder what the extension would have been like if it had not been built underground for most of its length.
6) The wire cages on the bridge between Morgan Ave and Largo: they could have been left out.
  by SchuminWeb

i'm just amazed that five years out, none of the new stations have any platform advertising boxes. At first I figured they'd come later (since the stations were still somewhat unfinished at opening), but they never have gotten them. You'd think they'd capitalize on that, especially when you consider that they'll hang a banner just about anywhere at other stations...
  by tommyboy6181

i'm just amazed that five years out, none of the new stations have any platform advertising boxes.
Come on Metro, put in the platform boxes so maybe you'll make up some of the projected revenue loss. And yes, I have seen ads hanging from the mezzanine levels in several of the stations before. That is not uncommon at all. I think I may have put a picture up on the post about my April 2009 trip in DC.