Railroad Forums 

• Technique for adding wood grain to styrene

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

#11572  by Otto Vondrak

I was building Model Power's farmhouse kit, and their directions for building the porch weren't very clear. I ended up modifying the parts slightly... in order to get the porch overhang to the right height, I added a new crosspiece above the posts. I happened to have a 1/8" square piece of styrene around, that worked perfectly. Since it would be pretty prominent on the model, I decided the pefectly smooth finish wouldn't cut it. I started using rough sandpaper (80 grit), but all that did was make the styrene kinda fuzzy. I used an 8" mill file next- I used the edge of the file to scribe grain lines onto the surface... that worked really well. And the grain lines were wavy and random. I made to to scribe them deep... once the paint was applied, the effect worked very well.

Just thought I would share!

-otto-

#11727  by krobar

Hi Otto, I've taken a razor saw and by dragging it sideways across the plastic made some nice grain markings. :)