Railroad Forums 

• Tank cars in Jim Thorpe on R&N

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania

Moderator: bwparker1

#1328108  by carajul

What are all the tank cars in Jim Thorpe on both sides of the river on the R&N lines? On the ex-LV side they are stretched as far as you can see!
 #1328436  by CPSK

Statkowski wrote:The empty ones can indeed be more dangerous than the loaded ones.
Right. My thinking was flawed when I wrote that response. The vapors from any volatile liquid are far more dangerous than the liquid itself.
I can be a bit naive sometimes, I do admit.
CP
 #1328437  by CPSK

lvrr325 wrote:What are they just using one track on the LV side, or nothing at all?
They must be using one track for mainline. There was a southbound manifest freight through the gorge earlier.
Anyone know if the power plant at Hazleton still receives coal, or has that been switched to gas or oil - or been shut completely?
 #1328479  by pumpers

From Lehighton Yard,south of Jim THorpe, there are 2 tracks on the east side of the Lehigh river, ex LV as was noted, up through East Jim THorpe all the way to M&H junction, where the line to Hazelton splits off. The east track of these 2 tracks belongs to R&N (track 1) and the west track (track 2) belongs to NS I believe. Can someone confirm that? North of M&H junction up through the gorge it is single track (R&N) I believe. So my guess is the R&N track (the one farthest from the river) is being used for storage and the NS track for the through trains to Allentown/Bethlehem.
The track on the west side of the river from the bridge over the LV river at Nesqhuehoning down to Packerton is ex CNJ and belongs to R&N.
Jim
 #1328614  by carajul

[quote="pumpers"]From Lehighton Yard,south of Jim THorpe, there are 2 tracks on the east side of the Lehigh river, ex LV as was noted, up through East Jim THorpe all the way to M&H junction, where the line to Hazelton splits off. The east track of these 2 tracks belongs to R&N (track 1) and the west track (track 2) belongs to NS I believe. Can someone confirm that? North of M&H junction up through the gorge it is single track (R&N) I believe. So my guess is the R&N track (the one farthest from the river) is being used for storage and the NS track for the through trains to Allentown/Bethlehem.
The track on the west side of the river from the bridge over the LV river at Nesqhuehoning down to Packerton is ex CNJ and belongs to R&N.
Jim[/quote]

You are pretty much correct. The ex-LV line north of M&H Jct was sold to R&N by CR just before NS bought CR, and I think NS freaked and sued CR.
The tracks by Jim Thorpe station are ex-CNJ. They are owned by carbon county and rented by R&N. I don't think R&N owns them. The county bought that line from CR in the early 80s. CR was serving it once a week and wanted to abandon it but Ametek in Nesquehoning threw a fit. The CR crew would come up from Atown once a week and outlaw... because they were screwing around on the job. I once caught them parked in front of PQ tower drinking beers sometime in the early 80s.
 #1328629  by lvrr325

I never could figure out what they were doing down there back from when they sold one track to R&N and kept the other one, I know one was out of service entirely for a time.
 #1390156  by FLRailFan1

joshuahouse wrote:Oh yes, because there's never been anything ever dangerous on a rail car in Jim Thorpe before this. If you want totally safe rail cars, stick to lionel.
That's FUNNY!!
 #1390288  by CNJ Fan 4evr

R&N has tank cars stored all over the system. There is another string of them on the former BM&R track from Hamburg to almost Temple. The line breaks in a few places for crossings and bridges but they are all white tank cars.Would love to be there when they move them out.