Railroad Forums 

• Superliner Equipment Status

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1603578  by eolesen

Arlington wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 8:58 am Or, Amtrak could do more of the kind of convertible (non-room) seating that we're seeing on premium sleeper bus services.
Yup. In their business class, Chinese HSR sets had airline style fully-flat seats. Pod seats with high partitions or curtains in a Venture or Viewliner shell could still provide bit of privacy and still make the space usable for shorter stage trips where a sleeper supplement isn't justifiable. The lack of individual toilets would certainly eliminate a lot of headaches for the mechanical department.
 #1603596  by STrRedWolf

I would think more of JPRail's Sunrise Seto/Izumo overnight trains would be fitting, with some obvious exceptions.

Yes, I'm talking about the Nobi-Nobi "berths". (insert 'MERICA!!! jokes here)

There's some videos on Youtube's "Solo Solo Travel" channel to get you the idea.
 #1603644  by eolesen

Nope.... That type of space is only good for a sleeper service. Dead space for a daytime trip...

This is what the Shanghai-Beijing services offer.... 80" seat pitch if I remember:

It's essentially the same seat you'd find in business class on a 777, 787, A380 or 747 flying from Asia to the US. Perfectly acceptable for a 9-17 hour flight and a good sleep on a fully flat bed. Even better is that it's a decent seat to work in while watching the scenery go by...
 #1617773  by Gilbert B Norman

I learned of this video reviewing another site:

https://youtu.be/6_sVy0RoMuw

If you can accept the "1-800-LISTEN TO THE MUSIC" background (and whatever laws the videographer may be breaking), this reveals just how deep the backlog of removed from service equipment Amtrak is confronted with. Further adding is the anecdotal number of unfilled positions Amtrak has at Beech Grove.

Of course, never mind that Amtrak does "not exactly" appear on too many, if any, "500 best companies to work for" surveys, and, from first-hand experience, Beech Grove, despite its "idyllic" name, is "the armpit of Indianapolis".
 #1628082  by STrRedWolf

23 Superliners heading back over the rail starting in October: https://railpassengers.org/happening-no ... ive-fleet/
Amtrak says it’s chipping away at the backlog of passenger cars laid up at its shops, and told the Association on Friday that 63 more cars would be restored to the active fleet over the course of Fiscal 2024 – which starts on October 1.

Larry Chestler, the executive who heads Amtrak’s long-distance business unit, told Rail Passengers President & CEO Jim Mathews on Friday that the FY24 plan would include bringing 48 cars back out of long-term storage and the overhaul backlog, plus another 15 cars restored from “wreck” status – and 12 of those 15 wrecks are sorely needed Superliners.

Overall, 23 of the 63 cars being restored in Fiscal 2024 are Superliners. There are nine Transition Sleepers and five Sightseer lounges in the mix to be restored, and Chestler said that many of the FY24 restoration cars should be available for next summer’s heavy travel period.
 #1628720  by Jeff Smith

Couldn't find a press release, but our friends at Railfan have posted this: Raiilfan

Fair Use:
In Effort to Resolve Equipment Shortages, Amtrak to Rebuild 63 Cars

In an effort to resolve some of its equipment shortage issues, Amtrak plans to put 63 rail cars back into service during the coming fiscal year, which begins next month. Among the cars that will be restored are 48 that have been in long-term storage and 15 that were damaged in derailments and other incidents.
The 15 wrecked cars being rebuilt include one Amfleet II coach, two Viewliner II baggage cars, and 12 Superliners, as follows: 1 coach, 2 baggage coaches, 3 sleepers, 3 transition sleepers, 1 dining car, and 2 Sightseer lounges. Of the 23 Superliners returning to service, one is a coach, two are baggage coaches, two are snack coaches, three are sleepers, nine are transition sleepers, one is a dining car, and five are sightseer lounges. The remaining 40 include two Amfleet I table cars, one Amfleet II coach, 18 Horizon coaches, eight Viewliner I sleeping cars, six Viewliner II baggage cars, and five Viewliner II dining cars.