Railroad Forums 

Discussion of Canadian Passenger Rail Services such as AMT (Montreal), Go Transit (Toronto), VIA Rail, and other Canadian Railways and Transit

Moderator: Ken V

#1477736  by Tadman

Anybody ever ride the Sudbury-White River RDC? I have an opportunity to visit Sudbury for work and would definitely ride the RDC round trip if I can swing it and it's worth the time. Input appreciated, thanks!
 #1481789  by BAR

I would like to make this trip from Sudbury and overnighting in White River. Are there any motels near the station in White River? Thanks for any info.

BAR
 #1481799  by briann

The motels in White River are mostly on or near the TransCanada Highway (Hwy 17). I have stayed at the Continental Motel - not luxury, but perfectly acceptable for a highway motel, and with a decent restaurant too. It's a bit of a hike from White River station - maybe about 700m.
 #1481819  by BAR

Brian,

Thanks for the helpful information.

BAR
 #1481833  by Mark0f0

Any big value of this trip scenery-wise, or is it all about the RDC experience?
 #1481849  by R36 Combine Coach

briann wrote:The motels in White River are mostly on or near the TransCanada Highway (Hwy 17). I have stayed at the Continental Motel - not luxury, but perfectly acceptable for a highway motel, and with a decent restaurant too. It's a bit of a hike from White River station - maybe about 700m.
White River is small town of 607. The station is on Winnipeg Street near Elgin. It is a 10 minute walk (0.5 mile) up Elgin to the Trans-Canada Highway. No AAA/CAA hotels or restaurants, but three motels, a truckstop, gas stations and food on the highway.

See map
 #1481924  by BAR

R36 Combine Coach,

Thanks for the map and info. Looks like I can walk from the station to the Continental.

BAR