Railroad Forums 

• Suburban LRV on Subway Surface Lines

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

#1591065  by Disney Guy

Would the 101 and 102 line cars go around all of the curves on the subway surface trackage? The cars are a little longer than the city cars.

(Yes, Cleveland Rapid and Shaker Heights shared a portion of track just east of Center City. Low platforms were in the middle. Trains ran left handed through that section. At least one station had high side platforms. At least one station had center low and high platforms end to end.)
Last edited by Disney Guy on Thu Feb 03, 2022 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #1591280  by west point

My observations seem to indicate that trolly pole wire can be constructed cheaper than say dual trolly pole / pan operation. One item is that the support wires for the trolly wires need clearances so the pan will not snag support wires.
 #1591316  by JeffK

west point wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 6:54 pm My observations seem to indicate that trolly [sic] pole wire can be constructed cheaper than say dual trolly [sic] pole / pan operation. One item is that the support wires for the trolly wires need clearances so the pan will not snag support wires.
According to several articles I've read pans have become the de facto world standard in spite of higher costs. They eliminate most risks of dewiring (unless of course the catenary itself comes down), can be automatically raised/lowered, are bi-directional, follow curves and frogs much more reliably, and aren't fussy about wire alignment.

Trolley poles require wires to be as centered as practical which complicates curves and frogs. In addition they aren't compatible with constant-tension cat.
 #1591364  by ExCon90

I think that was being considered at one time but never progressed. It would connect a lot of neighborhoods with 69th St. and seems fairly easily doable.
 #1591374  by west point

JeffK wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 9:55 am Trolley poles require wires to be as centered as practical which complicates curves and frogs. In addition they aren't compatible with constant-tension cat.
Quite right constant tension does not work with trolly poles since constant tension wire only runs 1600 - 2400 feet before another wire takes over. Many new light rail / Street car lines do use constant tension. Had not thought about it but have seen trolly poles dewire on very hot days. Probably transiting a bad sag which can happen around curves and or switches.