Railroad Forums 

Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

#1044250  by lstone19

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/loca ... 7975.story

"A suburban commuter has sued Metra to get back money he — and millions of other passengers — lose when their multiple-ride passes expire before they use up all the trips for which they paid.

John DiVito, a Roselle man who travels to Chicago for work, says he paid a total of $109.66 for three 10-ride passes he bought in 2009 and 2010, but only made 11 trips combined in the one-year period before they passes expired, leaving about $66 of the value of the tickets unused."

Sheeeeesh!

For one, until the fare increase earlier this year, these tickets were refundable less a full-fare deduction for each ride used. All he had to do was submit it for a refund before it expired and Metra would have sent him a refund.

Second, the complainant, tries to compare a Metra multi-ride ticket to a store gift card/certificate and claims they should be treated the same and valid for at least five years. Uh right. A gift card is worth however much you put on it and is not tied to the price of any particular item. A multi-ride ticket is a "volume purchase agreement". By agreeing to make 10 rides in a year, Metra was willing to discount the price 20% (old fare structure - it's about 10% now). No different than any other business that offers you a discount for purchasing a larger quantity. Why should he now think he's entitled to a longer period to meet that commitment of ten rides?

What next? Will they argue that a monthly pass should be good for five years? Or maybe I should demand a partial refund on my monthly pass this month due to two unexpected business trips that "cost" me two days of pass use. :-)

I wonder what idiot lawyer is representing him so I can make sure to never give him any business.
 #1044263  by Tadman

Your face, is my case!!!

I never get tired of Jackie Chiles jokes...

Honestly, it's not like the terms were secret when the guy bought the ticket. He knew what he was getting into, and if he didn't, too bad. It's like buying a pound of cold cuts, not eating half before the expiration date, and suing the grocery for a refund for the cold cuts you didn't eat. You knew they were going bad!!!