Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by brnxvill

So, anybody like to start on when/if Metro North is going to honor picket lines tonight as is being suggested by all the local news channels.

How does that work? Is it decided at 12:01 or can it be decided at any time after the subways/busses go out.

If this discussion is prohibited I apologize in advance.

by Terminal Proceed

I would caution ALL MNRR employees against making ANY statements one way or the other on this topic. We must be extremely careful what is said by whom - anything can be misconstrued.

This topic also has the possibility get very heated very quickly. It will be closely monitored, locked and/or deleted if it even begins to go awry. I will also discuss with Otto later in the day whether we will continue this thread.

Until then, lets hope this whole thing blows over quickly. Good luck to anyone needing to get around.

Kevin

by Noel Weaver

For what it is worth, I lived in Queens during the last subway strike in l980,
the company, Conrail at the time, issued orders that any employee
living in NYC and affected by the strike could drive to any location and
request a pick up or drop off as the case may be. Of course the parking
situation at the passenger stations in Westchester County especially in the
middle of the day was impossible but I drove to Shell Tower (now CP-216)
and would park behind the tower and walk up the stairs and ask the
operator to stop a NY bound train there to pick me up. On outbound trains
the engineer and conductor were basically given blanket authority to drop
off employees enroute as necessary.
I would suspect that the same general pattern will be put into use for this
one too.
The unions reminded us that the strike was against the Transit Authority
and that we had a lawful contract and were expected to abide by it. The
company was anxious to cooperate with us in seeing that we could get
back and forth to our work locations.
Noel Weaver

by DutchRailnut

On MNCR things are a bit dicy as the labor coalition has been without contract for over 4 years. the coalition is the electricians - trackworkers- station cleaners-car inspectors- etc etc Their talks have stalled weeks ago.

Meanwhile ACRE the new union for engineers-conductors- power operators- dispatchers- yardmasters has had a contract but it will need renewal by january next year but they would not be striking.

If picket lines are put up it may not be in best interest to cross them (safety), and trains would be pretty much useless for crews to take as we can no longer inspect trains, only Qualified Maintenance Pesonal.
So nobody would run un-inspected trains. But this is all speculative as the coalition crafts are not -released from federal mediation.
and as far as I know are not having a sympathy strike.

The railroad forces do not have cost of living increases so no raise is a loss for any of these people.
inflation exceded 9% for last 2 years.
  by thebordcu

brnxvill wrote:So, anybody like to start on when/if Metro North is going to honor picket lines tonight as is being suggested by all the local news channels.

How does that work? Is it decided at 12:01 or can it be decided at any time after the subways/busses go out.

If this discussion is prohibited I apologize in advance.
So would MNR take everyone in as it looks like they are doing now and then say too bad at Grand Central this evening?

by Otto Vondrak

Here's my take- no employee will comment on a potential picket line here. You should get your information from official news sources or the MTA web site. If people want to tell us about their strike experiences (2005 or 1980), I guess that's ok, though they would really belong in our MTA NYC Subway forum, since right now the strike is confined to transit and not the commuter railroads.

-otto-

by cranky2073

Does anyone know why the TWU didn't take this to PERB arbitration?

by Tommy Meehan

Otto Vondrak wrote:Here's my take- no employee will comment on a potential picket line here. -otto-
Here's my take. This Metro-North forum is the most rigidly self-censored message board I have ever come across bar none. Which is senseless to me since this board has no official standing with anyone. And in this case you're not even reacting to something someone wrote but to something someone might write! I mean c'mon!

Hey what happened to free speech?

Mr. Vondrak how can you beef when a cop tells you to pack up your photo gear and remove yourself when you support the same thing type of restrictions on people here? Please, don't just react, take a minute and think about it.

Tommy Meehan

by Mike Roque

This isn't a first amendment issue...this is moderated discussion for the benefit of quality information. Take it or leave it.

by Herring

Webmaster and Otto, I agree with you 100%, but why does the rules not apply to the LIRR forum? Just take a look at the LIRR forum and read the post by LirrConductor, "TWU Member replies..." That does not belong on the LIRR forum.

BTW-Railroad.net is the best railroad forum on the internet!!!!!

by Otto Vondrak

I just don't want anyone to get into trouble- if a union member wants to stick his/her head out here and talk about union business- that's up to him or her. I'm only cautioning our readers that they should take it all with a grain of salt, and rely on official news sources for info.

-oto-