Railroad Forums 

• Street-running locations in PA

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania

Moderator: bwparker1

#12981  by HBTM M-39

Actually, Brooks... both pictures you posted from Clearfield are on the ex-BR&P. The NYC used the BR&P between Clearfield and CB Jct, but the PRR had their own trackage between Clearfield and Curwensville.

The Pennsy's the bike trail, now.

Keith
 #12982  by rnetzlof

[quote="bwparker1"]Bob,

There is a link to a picture of Conrail operating over the ex-PRR track in clearfield in my 2nd post.

Brooks[/quote]

I confess. I sailed right by that and didn't notice the links to images.

But, I do believe that the photos are mis-identified. The Conrail locomotives are on the ex-B&O exx-BR&P track, now R J Corman. Conrail could easliy have been running there since NYC had trackage rights on that line and I 'm sure Conrail acquired those rights from PC. But the PRR line through Clearfield to Curwensville didn't have curbs along the track.

The other photo, the one with the E8's, that's a puzzle. It looks to me like it's the so-called Northern Express of 4 four years or so ago. To the best of my knowlege, that train did not visit Clearfield. Further, the PRR track on Third Street (not sure of the name) was gone by then. So I don't think that photo was taken in Clearfield, but I don't know where it was taken.
 #12991  by bwparker1

Sorry, You are both correct. I have only lived in PA since this past fall and I am still figuring out what track used to be where. I have an excellent article on the Clearfield area written by Jim Bacon in 2002 that shows the formers and current layout if you are interested.

Brooks

#12997  by HBTM M-39

Hmmm.... interesting point on the E8s, Bob. I'm not real familiar with the ends of the street trackage, but I was thinking that may have been one of the places where street trackage ended and normal ROW began. Looking at it again, I'm not sure either.

The E8s did make at least one trip to Cherry Tree, this could be one of those trips, but I'm not sure what the consist may have been.

As an aside, when railfanning the RJCP, Bacon's article is a must-have if you're trying to understand the line's history. I remember reading that there are a few map inaccuracies (I believe these were discussed on RR.NET V 1.0.), but the article is excellent.

Keith

#14433  by chnaus

C&PA in Coudersport just north(east) of the depot. Older photos show less grass and more gravel (streets and roadbed).

#14442  by rnetzlof

HBTM M-39 wrote:Hmmm.... interesting point on the E8s, Bob. I'm not real familiar with the ends of the street trackage, but I was thinking that may have been one of the places where street trackage ended and normal ROW began. Looking at it again, I'm not sure either.

The E8s did make at least one trip to Cherry Tree, this could be one of those trips, but I'm not sure what the consist may have been.
Keith
Looking at the photo, I'm pretty sure the first car behind the E8's is the private car Caritas. See:

http://community-2.webtv.net/bulletbob5 ... ARCARITAS/

The Caritas was on one end of the string of private cars on the Northern Express excursion of a few years ago. That excursion got no closer to Clearfield than Keating.

My understanding was that the E8 excursion(s) which did pass through Clearfield used Amtrak cars, no private cars except for Bennett Levin's 120 (and maybe not that).
 #14763  by Beech Cricker

Bob,

The E8s DID bring private cars into Clearfield during the excursions. I wasn't there myself--didn't arrive until the following week--but did see a host of pix.

Jeff
 #14887  by rnetzlof

[quote="Beech Cricker"]Bob,

The E8s DID bring private cars into Clearfield during the excursions. I wasn't there myself--didn't arrive until the following week--but did see a host of pix.

Jeff[/quote]

I yield to the master.

#14941  by Conrail Cleveland East

The CSX 10th St.trackage in Erie is still used,but not everyday.Passing thru Erie,i've seen the local working on a Monday.There's a plastic plant that the local switches off that trackage.
 #15035  by Beech Cricker

rnetzlof wrote:
Beech Cricker wrote:Bob,

Jeff
I yield to the master.
Oh, brother.

I might be able to dig up a list of the private cars that visited Clearfield, if anyone is interested.

Jeff
 #15053  by dyardmaster1

The SWP still utilizes the former PRR Southwest Branch through Uniontown,Fayette County. There are about 3-4 blocks of street running that serves the Herald Standard newspaper and a lumber store. There are a few other businesses on the branch that are not currently being served.

#15200  by blueduck577

In Levittown along the NEC, there is a short siding in the middle of a driveway for the Courier Times to recieve newsprint by rail. This was built no longer than a year ago.
 #17772  by RailMike

Another street-running location in PA was in Bloomsburg. A branch of the Reading used to start from a (wye?) connection with what's now the North Shore shortline, and from there follow a street north for maybe half a mile before leaving to run along the Little Fishing Creek. I think the line eventually led to Orangeville and points north.

The road the tracks ran on is called, appropriately enough, Railroad St. Does anyone know what year this line was abandoned?

The connection was near a carpet factory and a still-standing RR station.
 #18451  by trainspot

blueduck577 wrote:In Levittown along the NEC, there is a short siding in the middle of a driveway for the Courier Times to recieve newsprint by rail. This was built no longer than a year ago.
The new Courier building in Falls Twp. (on the Penn-Jersey RR) is nearing completion, which will make this obselete soon!

#19054  by jebradley

Regarding St. Marys, there may have been industrial in-street trackage I wasn't aware of, but strictly speaking the main line (Emporium-Erie, PRR, now Allegheny & Eastern) runs in the right-of-way of Erie Avenue but is not "street running" like Erie PA, Clearfield and other places. Railroad has its own subgrade with full railroad ballast; Erie Avenue is a two-lane street (one for parking, one for 1-way traffic) with full curbing, parallel to the track. On other side of track is a sidewalk and businesses, including at one time the PRR Passenger station. This line is now abandoned between St. Marys and Emporium, a loss of a communication facility for the entire state.
James E. Bradley Hawk Mountain Chapter N.R.H.S.