Railroad Forums 

• Stone trains 2011

• Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
 #1022090  by Crabman1130

Thanks for the replies .

I checked out the Holtsvill and Yaphank sites on Google

Where are the quarries located in NT and Ct?
 #1022253  by rb

Astro Ready Mix is yet another stone customer, though everything I know about their operation I learned here. They are unique in that they unload cars off-site, on the spur for a nearby warehouse. There is video on YouTube of the siding being switched.

There's also another rock "terminal" on the Central branch. So, that's now six operations receiving aggregates via NYAR.

A lot of rock comes from Tilcon, which has quarries all over CT. One of their quarries has its own railroad, the Branford Steam Railroad, which sets out a lot of cars for P&W at Branford on the NEC (the rest of their traffic goes to a dock on the LI Sound and is barged across). Tilcon also has a big operation north of New Haven, on the P&W line to Middletown.

I read somewhere that there is yet another rail-shipping quarry north of New London that's run by a separate company.
 #1022258  by tj48

Astro Ready Mix has become a good size operation. They now get alot of OGIX and GATX hoppers sublettered for Astro Ready Mix. The youtube video shows some of the OGIX as well as Tilcon hoppers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LM9ltjlh9Mo
 #1022359  by rb

Found the thread on the other CT quarry.

Read this page, toward the bottom where an SW1500 is mentioned: http://www.railroad.net/forums/viewtopi ... 5&start=90

The quarry company: http://www.rawsonmaterials.com/
"Recently, Rawson began shipment of aggregates by rail from its Norwich Road (Route 12), Plainfield, CT location to destinations in Queens and Deer Park, NY."
I think this is where the OGIX and GATX cars are coming from.
 #1022858  by DogBert

There's a customer in the old Bushwick yard now, inside what is now the lumber yard property. Not sure when this started, probably in the last year or two. They had a cut of 5 or 6 tilcon cars in there.

Anyways, P&W in last night and out again this evening around 6. I suspect the inbounds were headed to maspeth since the yard was unusually devoid of cars. Usually there's 10-20 cars in there.
 #1031767  by DogBert

Sounds right, looks like they're doing ready mix on that property as well.

Anyway- P&W just left again with a few empties - trailing unit was one of their leased SD60s. wasn't expecting to see one of those down here so soon...
 #1044079  by MrGP10

I just saw a P&W train pass by going towards FP at about 12:30 AM It had a blue/white GP-40? as the 2nd unit 2 GEs between it with about 40? or so cars. P&W has lease units?
 #1044603  by DogBert

see my previous post. it's an sd60. p&w has two from gatx - one of which has been a regular on the stone train. It has more or less powered at least one run per week, if not both.
 #1071194  by DogBert

P&W came in last night with 2 GEs on the rear & 3 up front (plus the usual SD60). Pretty long train. No idea if the rear locos are used for pushing at any point or just there due to a lack of an EOTD. I guess we'll see how they leave town later today...