Railroad Forums 

• Stephen Gardner New President of Amtrak

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1557698  by Pensyfan19

Flynn is to remain CEO, but Gardner has been promoted.

https://trn.trains.com/news/news-wire/2 ... -president
Amtrak CEO Bill Flynn has named Stephen Gardner as president, effective Dec. 1.

An Amtrak press release describes the move as “part of a broader set of actions taken under Flynn’s leadership, working with the board of directors, to ensure that Amtrak is well positioned for success in fiscal year 2021 and beyond.” It says as president, Gardner will lead day-to-day operations and advance long-term goals by overseeing marketing, operations, planning, government affairs, and corporate communication.

The move splits the positions which currently are both held by Flynn. The title of president was Amtrak’s highest-ranking position when the company was created; it became combined with the title of CEO during the 2008-2016 tenure of Joseph Boardman.
 #1557705  by Gilbert B Norman

Well, Mr. Pennsy, this is where the Board wants Amtrak to go.

This move of installing an "anti-LD" as President clearly signals that the Board considers the LD's "a lost cause", and would like to "be rid of 'em". Never mind that the Incorporators envisioned them as a transitional five year "ease the pain" continuation of what had seriously jeopardized the financial condition of the industry now some fifty years ago.

Fair statement that the advocacy community is "not exactly" applauding this appointment.
 #1557715  by Arborwayfan

Gilbert B Norman wrote:Fair statement that the advocacy community is "not exactly" applauding this appointment.
The advocacy community, or the railfan community? I assume there are a lot of rail advocates along NEC, and other corridors who have no interest in LD trains. :wink:
 #1557717  by Gilbert B Norman

Prof Martens, the advocacy community in my lexicon means the "experiential travel" community, but I guess the scope of the term could also include those parties that wish to see shovels in the ground at Gateway.
 #1557722  by Pensyfan19

There was also news earlier today of Amtrak proposing New York to Scranton service, thus further supporting their regional goals by developing numerous regions into corridors and hubs, rather than continue the LDs. I am all for regional expansion, but at least some LD service is necessary to serve the remote areas of the nation which still rely on the LDs for transportation. Or, if Amtrak wants to focus on regional services while somewhat keep the LDs, just break up the LD routes, especially in the West Coast like the CZ Zephyr and the Southwest Chief, into connecting regional services so this way they can provide frequent service on remote areas and provide connections along the route of the former LD service.
(Or for some routes, call Rocky Mountaineer or someone like them to take over the longer routes! ;))
 #1557724  by Matt Johnson

Arborwayfan wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 5:20 pm
The advocacy community, or the railfan community? I assume there are a lot of rail advocates along NEC, and other corridors who have no interest in LD trains. :wink:
I live along the NEC, but Amtrak has been useful to me for more than just northeast travel. I took the Crescent to Atlanta to attend a friend's wedding many years ago, the Texas Eagle to Dallas to attend my cousin's wedding a few years ago, etc. The more places the train goes, the more useful it is.
 #1557725  by lordsigma12345

The board will likely change during the upcoming administration. Trump was essentially blocked from making Amtrak board appointments by certain pro Amtrak republicans senators. There are multiple positions vacant that could end up getting seated during the Biden administration. From the sounds of it in practice this doesn’t amount to much. Gardner was already the #2 guy and his job probably isn’t changing much - just a different title. I wouldn’t be looking out for adios drumheads just yet. Gardner’s big thing is getting Gateway done and developing more corridors more than he is anti long distance - if Congress gives him money to do both he’ll do it happily if he gets his corridor money. I think he’s anti certain routes (the chief being an example due to its extra costs) but not necessarily all of them. And I don’t think the sunset wins any popularity contests at Amtrak management.

Even if he had 100% full control He would not cut all 15 long distance routes. There would be some that would see either an axe or a truncation and some wouldn’t be touched, but it would make zero sense to simply train off all long distance routes and have a disconnected network of a few corridors. It doesn’t make sense to pull out of areas where you want to do corridor building.

It seems like most people seem to think this long distance thing has to be a black or white thing - either the network can’t be touched or changed at all or that that entire long distance network should get a train off tomorrow. I think shades of gray are the more likely outcome.
 #1557776  by Ridgefielder

Pensyfan19 wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 5:53 pm There was also news earlier today of Amtrak proposing New York to Scranton service, thus further supporting their regional goals by developing numerous regions into corridors and hubs, rather than continue the LDs.
Given that the incoming POTUS is a lifelong Amtrak rider who happens to have been born in Scranton this is perhaps the least surprising route proposal ever.