Railroad Forums 

• Status of the GP7s and GP9s

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#1032757  by KSmitty

newpylong wrote:is 54 scrapped? I had that unit for almost 6 months on a local... Was a good engine.
It was removed from Bill Gingrich's monthly locomotive summary a few months back, leading me to suspect it is gone. I'm sad to see it gone, was my first cab ride!
 #1034149  by jaymac

On 04-05-2012, the 72 was still half the hump switcher. The other and westerly half was the 347. Will Big G gray ever qualify as a heritage paint scheme?
 #1034154  by MEC407

jaymac wrote:Will Big G gray ever qualify as a heritage paint scheme?
It would be fun to see the original early '80s version, with the candy stripes on the pilot.
 #1034376  by jaymac

The Big G was getting close to erasing itself. PAR/S -- NewBlues aside -- would be even more severely compromised without other people's power and other people's money. The folks who worked through the contractions and diminutions and disrespect definitely don't need reminders, but the outside world tends to have a short memory.
 #1035696  by BR4

As I was leaving Portland today, I thought I heard the 45 switching Rigby. It sounded like the conductor
said, "45, ok to back up." Don't know if I missed the first number of the unit. or it really was 45.
 #1035700  by MEC407

Might've been 345.
 #1056504  by bm1838

Has anyone seen any of the GP9s running in the last week. I know 72 is constantly reported on the hump switcher, but all the other 9s are up in Maine, and there haven't been any posts or pictures in the last month of any of them.... I know in January I caught the 51 and 71 running on SAPPI3

Cory
 #1056564  by ferroequinarchaeologist

Along the same lines (no pun) we have this from Railway Age

710 repowers targeted for older GP38-2s (and GP9s and SD-40s - ed)
Tony Kruglinski

Progress Rail Services' EMD subsidiary has targeted North America's 3,300 existing EMD GP38-2 locomotives (originally built between 1972 and 1986) for repowering with EMD's more modern 710 "ECO" line of diesel engines.

http://www.railwayage.com/index.php/blo ... -Sacb-4DLY
Last edited by MEC407 on Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total. Reason: per the forum rules, please do not copy and paste entire articles verbatim; please post a short quote and a link to the source
 #1056568  by MEC407

It costs a million bucks to do ONE of those repowers. That's the same amount PAR would spend on acquiring an additional 8 to 10 SD40-2s. I can predict with great certainty which option PAR would choose to spend a million dollars on, and it's not the option with ECO in its name. :wink: