Railroad Forums 

• stations that once exisited-

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

#1005145  by Ken S.

cobra30689 wrote:
Nexis4Jersey wrote:Harrison is looking into restoring there station which would happen once the redevelopment is completed in 2025.
Even though Harrison is listed as a station in the NEC timetable, I don't believe it was ever a passenger station even back in the PRR days...the two platforms were only served by the H&M/PATH...
Harrison on the M&E.
 #1005146  by N4J

cobra30689 wrote:
Nexis4Jersey wrote:Harrison is looking into restoring there station which would happen once the redevelopment is completed in 2025.
Even though Harrison is listed as a station in the NEC timetable, I don't believe it was ever a passenger station even back in the PRR days...the two platforms were only served by the H&M/PATH...
I wasn't talking about the NEC station , but the station along the Morristown line which was abandoned due to low ridership.....which in the coming years there will be enough in the area surrounding the station.
 #1005177  by Steampowered

There needs to be super stations, like metropark. The problem is parking, so people go to other stations to find parking. I go to Hamilton if its daytime to park, and Princeton junction evening weekend. Build parking decks and close stations.
 #1005185  by N4J

Steampowered wrote:There needs to be super stations, like metropark. The problem is parking, so people go to other stations to find parking. I go to Hamilton if its daytime to park, and Princeton junction evening weekend. Build parking decks and close stations.
Or we could restore lines that serve the towns where these people are coming from....
 #1005242  by OportRailfan

Ken S. wrote:
cobra30689 wrote:
Harrison on the M&E.
Well we were referring to the PATH station, as it is listed in the NEC TT as a station/PC

I doubt they will reopen the M&E Harrison station, as it would only slow down trip times and Broad St. is right across the river.
 #1005248  by Roadgeek Adam

waldwickrailfan wrote:there is one more station i know of, however i'm not sure when it came down, or if it was owned by NJT.
Arden,NY.
feel free to correct me if i'm wrong
Never made it. Was a post office since the mid-50s, but still saw trains until the 70s. (The story behind the post office is an interesting one).
 #1005295  by M&Eman

Steampowered wrote:There needs to be super stations, like metropark. The problem is parking, so people go to other stations to find parking. I go to Hamilton if its daytime to park, and Princeton junction evening weekend. Build parking decks and close stations.
Not everyone drives to the station. It is important that in walkable communities that there is ready pedestrian access to stations. Nuking the M&E and turning it into a bunch of Metroparks would not work because the line's succcess is its walkable communities.

Though there are some places where excess stations could be closed. If Montclair implemented a Jitney System similar to that in some other nearby towns where it was impossible to build more parking at the train stations, half the stations in Montclair could be closed and service could be drastically sped up.
 #1005298  by northjerseybuff

I think it depends on the geography. Metropark works because its near a major highway, same as MSU and Ramsey Rt 17. But these mega stations wouldn't work in downtowns. I would hope a mega one is built on rt 78 near the RVL at some point, but the towns don't want it. It could work there. It could also work near teterboro by rt17 if they could get that site from the building they knocked down. rt 46 and 17 interchange right on the PVL. RT23 WAYNE is also a success.
 #1005307  by Steampowered

M&Eman wrote:
Not everyone drives to the station. It is important that in walkable communities that there is ready pedestrian access to stations. Nuking the M&E and turning it into a bunch of Metroparks would not work because the line's succcess is its walkable communities.

Though there are some places where excess stations could be closed. If Montclair implemented a Jitney System similar to that in some other nearby towns where it was impossible to build more parking at the train stations, half the stations in Montclair could be closed and service could be drastically sped up.
I agree with the jitney concept, the 605 bus goes down to rt206, but if it went into neighborhoods and picked up people and took then to princeton junction and trenton station, it would solve alot of ridership issues. Why cant NJT use its buses more effectively and coordinate with train service. People just outside princeton in hopewell would probably walk to the bus if they knew they were going to get to PJC. Plus there is a huge malls all along 206, why cant they be used for parking, and njt pick people up and talk them to pjc or somerville ?
 #1005352  by sullivan1985

This is from memory. Only stations of the Hoboken Division on lines NJT currently serves.

Pascack Valley:
-Carlstadt
-New Milford

Bergen Line:
-None (yet)

Main Line:
-Secaucus Station (not to be confused with Secaucus Transfer)
-Getty Avenue/South Paterson
-River Street

Southern Tier:
-Southfields
-Arden
-Central Valley
-Graham

Montclair Line:
-Roseville Avenue
-Ampere
-Great Notch
-Montville

Morristown Line:
-Harrison
-Roseville Avenue
-Grove Street

Gladstone Line:
-Mine Brook
 #1005354  by waldwickrailfan

sullivan1985 wrote:This is from memory. Only stations of the Hoboken Division on lines NJT currently serves.

Pascack Valley:
-Carlstadt
-New Milford

Bergen Line:
-None (yet)

Main Line:
-River Street

Southern Tier:
-Southfields
-Arden
-Central Valley
-Graham

Montclair Line:
-Roseville Avenue
-Ampere
-Great Notch
-Montville

Morristown Line:
-Harrison
-Roseville Avenue
-Grove Street

Gladstone Line:
-Mine Brook
there is one you missed on the BCL. Harmon Cove.
 #1005407  by Roadgeek Adam

waldwickrailfan wrote:
sullivan1985 wrote:This is from memory. Only stations of the Hoboken Division on lines NJT currently serves.

Pascack Valley:
-Carlstadt
-New Milford

Bergen Line:
-None (yet)

Main Line:
-River Street

Southern Tier:
-Southfields
-Arden
-Central Valley
-Graham

Montclair Line:
-Roseville Avenue
-Ampere
-Great Notch
-Montville

Morristown Line:
-Harrison
-Roseville Avenue
-Grove Street

Gladstone Line:
-Mine Brook
there is one you missed on the BCL. Harmon Cove.
....did someone read the first sentence of this post?

As for the list, going back pretty far, but Ferndale on the Main Line in Glen Rock, the original Cedar Grove station on the NY&GL, not the Caldwell Branch station, Singac for the Montclair-Boonton, Ramapo, Hillburn, Sterlington, Cuddebackville all on the Southern Tier. Pascack Valley: Hillsdale Manor, Fairmount Avenue (closed 1980s), Central Avenue, Passaic Avenue (that only lasted 8 years from 1861 - 1869 anyway). Morristown Line: Wharton
 #1005489  by sullivan1985

Roadgeek Adam wrote:As for the list, going back pretty far, but Ferndale on the Main Line in Glen Rock, the original Cedar Grove station on the NY&GL, not the Caldwell Branch station, Singac for the Montclair-Boonton, Ramapo, Hillburn, Sterlington, Cuddebackville all on the Southern Tier. Pascack Valley: Hillsdale Manor, Fairmount Avenue (closed 1980s), Central Avenue, Passaic Avenue (that only lasted 8 years from 1861 - 1869 anyway). Morristown Line: Wharton
Bah! Fairmont Avenue! I should have remembered that. That was still in the NJT paperwork before the PV was made 562.
 #1005500  by waldwickrailfan

Roadgeek Adam wrote:
....did someone read the first sentence of this post?
sorry, i did in the beginning but then saw the BCL had none yet. diddnt re-read the"currently" at the beginning. my fault