Railroad Forums 

• Station Developments

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1584937  by BandA

My suggestion in the Pompano Beach crash the other day
BandA wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 1:49 pm Need to idiot proof this by putting gates across the tracks that close when the intersection is open to car traffic, then open when the normal gates close.
They could also just fill in the row with crossing material and allow cars to drive anywhere they want. Might be cheapest solution.
 #1584969  by STrRedWolf

BandA wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 7:15 pm My suggestion in the Pompano Beach crash the other day
BandA wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 1:49 pm Need to idiot proof this by putting gates across the tracks that close when the intersection is open to car traffic, then open when the normal gates close.
They could also just fill in the row with crossing material and allow cars to drive anywhere they want. Might be cheapest solution.
Cross gates would help. Filling it in would only encourage someone to *park* there, and that would lead to *KER-UNCH*.
 #1584971  by Gilbert B Norman

Much more the FEC or Brightline topic, but on my last Jan '19 Brightline joyride (eight to date; going back this Jan is on "COVID watch"), the return was delayed in the Wynwood area of Miami because some "genius" had driven on to the tracks and made a sharp right turn ON TO THE BALLAST.

Well no injuries, and they were just finishing up removing the auto when we got there - 20min delay all told.
 #1584988  by STrRedWolf

Gilbert B Norman wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 7:58 am Much more the FEC or Brightline topic, but on my last Jan '19 Brightline joyride (eight to date; going back this Jan is on "COVID watch"), the return was delayed in the Wynwood area of Miami because some "genius" had driven on to the tracks and made a sharp right turn ON TO THE BALLAST.

Well no injuries, and they were just finishing up removing the auto when we got there - 20min delay all told.
Let me kill that with a story a MTA Maryland light rail train operator told me after she got back from some time off for mental therapy. A elder gentleman had done the same thing north of Baltimore, turning onto the ballast. She saw him, hit full emergency brake... and still hit him. He survived, thankfully... but I hope the guy had his license yanked as part of a medical suspension.
 #1585021  by WashingtonPark

ExCon90 wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 4:49 pm
west point wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 5:02 am Maybe the volunteers need to have fuses and instructions on how to use them?
A fusee wouldn't have done any good if placed at the point of obstruction -- the engineer would have to be able to see it at braking distance for the speed the train was going. An immediate call to the dispatcher would be best -- provided there was someone there to make it. Question: if it's only volunteers, do they even have a line to the dispatcher? If not, that (plus CCTV of the crossing) should be the first thing. Since that could legitimately count as infrastructure, there might even be money for it.
A volunteer told me she has a phone number for the dispatcher but sometimes can't get a hold of him and is often noncommittal on which track the train will come on. That means standing on the ROW and determining whether the headlight is that of a freight or Amtrak and then getting people across the tracks before the train gets there. Crazy, huh? She was very negative on Amtrak not having an agent there and rightfully so.
 #1585027  by Ken W2KB

west point wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 5:02 am Maybe the volunteers need to have fuses and instructions on how to use them?
Some 20 years ago I was delayed about half an hour on my commute home to High Bridge, NJ. An on-duty railroad employee had parked his privately owned vehicle on the NJ Transit right of way, somewhat close to but definitely not fouling the track, and had walked down the right of way out of sight to check on some condition. A High Bridge police officer noticed the vehicle parked on the property and set out a couple of 30 minute fusees near the vehicle shortly before the train on which I was a passenger approached that location. As required, my train's engineer stopped short of the fusee and we had to wait close to 30 minutes because of a rule that an engineer could not pass a lit fusee until it had burnt out completely. The rule was intended for the 5 minute fusees which would be dropped by a train ahead and behind schedule, but the rule had no exceptions for any fusee so the engineer had to wait. The dispatcher was also bound by the rule so could not grant authority to pass the lit fusee.
 #1585304  by kitchin

Another one at Ashland today, track fouled for 30 minutes, two Amtrak trains delayed. Both trains' conductors had to dismount and attend the gates and light a flare.

Ashland could have better traffic engineering. There's an unnecessary left turn lane before the tracks, from the days before a road was closed for outdoor restaurant seating. A flashing "no left turn" sign would be good, or just "do not turn onto the railroad tracks." And reflective paint on the edge of the pad.
 #1585314  by kitchin

I misread the new law on station agents. Ashland does not qualify for the mandate if it didn't have one on October 1, 2017. The law re-institutes agents where 40+ pax board/deboard daily, but only if it had one Oct. 1, 2017. Some pretty specific lobbying there.
 #1585328  by STrRedWolf

kitchin wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 8:59 pm Another one at Ashland today, track fouled for 30 minutes, two Amtrak trains delayed. Both trains' conductors had to dismount and attend the gates and light a flare.

Ashland could have better traffic engineering. There's an unnecessary left turn lane before the tracks, from the days before a road was closed for outdoor restaurant seating. A flashing "no left turn" sign would be good, or just "do not turn onto the railroad tracks." And reflective paint on the edge of the pad.
Or... remove that turn lane (even temporarily). If the road's blocked, don't let 'em turn!
 #1585330  by WhartonAndNorthern

kitchin wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 7:56 am I misread the new law on station agents. Ashland does not qualify for the mandate if it didn't have one on October 1, 2017. The law re-institutes agents where 40+ pax board/deboard daily, but only if it had one Oct. 1, 2017. Some pretty specific lobbying there.
Translation: Amtrak made station staff cuts in 2018/2019. Local governments through their elected representatives want those agents back.

It would be hard to staff a station at Ashland considering there is no Amtrak station there. It's just a platform stop with shelter. The former station building is a town-owned visitor center that allows waiting room use as a courtesy.
 #1585339  by scratchyX1

STrRedWolf wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 10:44 am
kitchin wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 8:59 pm Another one at Ashland today, track fouled for 30 minutes, two Amtrak trains delayed. Both trains' conductors had to dismount and attend the gates and light a flare.

Or... remove that turn lane (even temporarily). If the road's blocked, don't let 'em turn!
This seems to be the turn onto route 54.
I know it's the main drag through town, but it's not good design.
Perhaps have ones turning take a turn on Hanover, then left on railroad.
Other, half the videos seem to be people trying to drive on pedestrian crossings.
Not sure fix for that.
 #1585344  by eolesen

Translation: Amtrak made station staff cuts in 2018/2019. Local governments through their elected representatives want those agents back.
Locals could have always hired someone on their dime... Amtrak has arrangements with other third parties to sell tickets.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

#1585359  by STrRedWolf

scratchyX1 wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 12:33 pm This seems to be the turn onto route 54.
I know it's the main drag through town, but it's not good design.
Perhaps have ones turning take a turn on Hanover, then left on railroad.
Other, half the videos seem to be people trying to drive on pedestrian crossings.
Not sure fix for that.

So Virtual Railfan had another video of it up and I said "Okay, lets see what it looks like." I screencapped Google Maps.

I made some highlights. The lines in blue are the apparent borders of the rail line plus a barrier across southbound Railroad Avenue. The green line/arrow would be the left turn lane, the intent being "Turn left at Hanover Avenue". Instead, folks assume "there's a road next to Railroad Avenue" and turn right next to it... and onto the track.

Over-track crossing arms with reflective tape would actually work in this case. It would significantly reduce the number of cars stopping on the tracks. You'll still get the odd drunk moron, but I'm not seeing a bar east along route 54.