Railroad Forums 

• Starrucca Viaduct trains

• Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.
Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, NJ Vike

#817116  by CPSK

Hi;
Can someone tell me how often a train crosses the Starrucca Viaduct, in Lanesboro, PA?
I was up there about 10yrs ago but never saw a train, despite hanging out for several hours.

Thanks

FW
 #817234  by blockline4180

Only 4 times per week... Twice for the SU-100 and I believe SU-99 goes west Monday and Thursday nights.
 #817329  by CPSK

charlie6017 wrote:You won't see a train very often, I'm afraid. See below the link I put in here regarding action through Narrowsburg---it would be pretty much the same traffic through there that you would see on Starrucca.

http://www.railroad.net/forums/viewtopi ... 28&t=72863

Charlie
Thanks for the link. Doesn't look good for a daylight photo session up there :(

FW
 #817537  by charlie6017

I know---kinda sucks. I would love to make a trip to Lanesboro if I knew I would see a daylight movement. I am thinking of heading that way anyway because I do want to see both Starucca and Tunkhannock Viaducts maybe as side attractions if I decide on a trip to Scranton sometime.

Charlie
 #817709  by CPSK

Well, there is the chance that the Starrucca could see some daylight traffic under very rare conditions.
Say there's a blockage on the CSX River Line, like the rock & mud slides that took place a long time ago (maybe 15 years?). If the blockage is going to last a while, then perhaps trains that need to get from NJ to Selkirk and points east would use the NYS&W to Campbell Hall, or the Metro North / NJT to same, and continue west over Starrucca, to Binghamton, then west and north to Geneva, NY where the train would have to head back east along the Mohawk /Erie into the west end of Selkirk.

Of course such a situation is highly unlikely, but I think there may have been a few detour trains from Conrail in NJ over NYS&W that way when those slides did block the track. Maybe not, but I seem to recall something.
It's a long detour, so the blockage would have to last many days, and would involve only trains that need to get to/from New Jersey to Selkirk.

Not so likely anymore since major work has been done up there on Storm King mountain. Route 218 was closed for a very long time after the slides. I don't recall how much, if any rock made it down onto the River Line.

FW

Edit: Did a GE map search and found how long a detour that would be. All the way west to Corning, NY before turning north to Geneva.
 #817799  by SecaucusJunction

I think CSX detours over the NYSW are a thing of the past... In case of emergency, it is easier to have NS run the traffic for them over their routes... and CSX will return the favor in case of NS derailment. Last I heard, CSX and NYSW weren't on the best of terms because of detours in the past.
 #817818  by RSD15

CPSK wrote:Well, there is the chance that the Starrucca could see some daylight traffic under very rare conditions.
Say there's a blockage on the CSX River Line, like the rock & mud slides that took place a long time ago (maybe 15 years?). If the blockage is going to last a while, then perhaps trains that need to get from NJ to Selkirk and points east would use the NYS&W to Campbell Hall, or the Metro North / NJT to same, and continue west over Starrucca, to Binghamton, then west and north to Geneva, NY where the train would have to head back east along the Mohawk /Erie into the west end of Selkirk.

Detours on the NYS&W follow the NYS&W all the way to Syracuse and turn east or west depending on who's train is detouring, CSX or CP/D&H.
 #817890  by CPSK

RSD15 wrote:
CPSK wrote:Well, there is the chance that the Starrucca could see some daylight traffic under very rare conditions.

Detours on the NYS&W follow the NYS&W all the way to Syracuse and turn east or west depending on who's train is detouring, CSX or CP/D&H.
I wasn't aware that the NYS&W had its own track between Campbell Hall and Syracuse, but I do recall having heard about wanting to restore an old route. Would that be ex CN or DH track?
I guess that happened a while back. I'll have to check GE again.

FW
Edit: Did check GE, but I cannot find the continuation of NYS&W between Campbell Hall and Syracuse. Where is the line?
 #817908  by RSD15

[/quote]
I wasn't aware that the NYS&W had its own track between Campbell Hall and Syracuse, but I do recall having heard about wanting to restore an old route. Would that be ex CN or DH track?

FW
Edit: Did check GE, but I cannot find the continuation of NYS&W between Campbell Hall and Syracuse. Where is the line?[/quote]

From Port Jervis to Binghamton they use the exErie/NS known as the Central New York rr.
From Binghamton north to Syracuse they use the exDL&W.
 #817959  by CPSK

RSD15 wrote:

FW
Edit: Did check GE, but I cannot find the continuation of NYS&W between Campbell Hall and Syracuse. Where is the line?[/quote]

From Port Jervis to Binghamton they use the exErie/NS known as the Central New York rr.
From Binghamton north to Syracuse they use the exDL&W.[/quote]

Thanks for the info. It would be nice to get some up-to-date RR maps, but I have never been able to locate any.

FW
 #818647  by Otto Vondrak

CPSK wrote:Can someone tell me how often a train crosses the Starrucca Viaduct, in Lanesboro, PA?
I was up there about 10yrs ago but never saw a train, despite hanging out for several hours.
Why would you wait several hours at Lanesboro if you didn't know for sure a train was coming? There has not been regular daylight service over that route for many years.
CPSK wrote:Thanks for the info. It would be nice to get some up-to-date RR maps, but I have never been able to locate any.
Up to date maps are right on the railroad's web site.

http://nysw.com/

-otto-
 #818970  by CPSK

Why would you wait several hours at Lanesboro if you didn't know for sure a train was coming? There has not been regular daylight service over that route for many years.
I was enjoying the day. It is very peaceful up there, with the park, and I was just admiring the structure.
Sometimes I used to find myself spending hours in the vicinity of a railroad without any particular purpose, I guess, just hoping that a train would happen by.
My trip to Lanesboro was at least 15 years ago, when NYS&W was running stack trains, so I was hoping for something to come across.
I recall having spoken with a local resident who told me that a train had come by early in the morning, and that I couldn't expect another one until after dark, yet I still wanted to hang out.

I no longer waste my time like that, especially if I have to drive 100 miles to reach the location.
Up to date maps are right on the railroad's web site.
True, but these maps are never detailed enough for my needs.

FW
 #824974  by oibu

Otto, you must've missed where he stated that this was TEN years ago! Back then there still would have been Q271, 46G, 47G, 25K, and whatever NYS&W eastbound there was at that point all running more or less daily. And the Hanjin traffic only went away in Feb. 2000, and just a year before that the SeaLand traffic was still around. Anecdotally, 47G, Q271, and 46g were ALL more often than not daylight trains at that time over Starrucca... 47G could show up almost anytime, 46G typically was in the afternoon, Q271 usually was in the AM.

Now in his latest post he say sit was 15 years ago... so lets see- BUOI (usually evening), OIBU (usually afternoon), TV-203(AM), TV-202 or 78 0r 26 -depending excatly when- (night), NYS&W 257 (night) and 258 (am), and teh Sea-land trains. On a good day in the mid-late 90s, 5-6 daylight moves were a possibility and at least 3-4 would be the norm. Admittedly 257 and the EB CR intermodals were usually at night and BUOI in the evening often after dark, but still... the rest were usually or at least frequently in morning daylight and OIBU would normally pass Lanesboro in the late afternoon or so...
 #825352  by nysw3636

Autorack trains ML480(eb) and ML403(wb) were also seen on the Tier 15 years ago. Albeit, not on a regular basis at times, but still seen...