Railroad Forums 

• Staff layoffs

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1551576  by John_Perkowski

Direct from the horses mouth. An employee posted this on Facebook.
(122.95 KiB) Downloaded 2364 times
 #1551580  by eolesen

Those cuts seem awfully small considering the long distance operation got cut in half.
 #1551584  by Gilbert B Norman

Likely the most appropriate topic at which to introduce this material appearing today in The New York Times:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/09/01/us/a ... d=em-share

The Times appeared to have changed, i.e. "tightened up" their sharing protocols - even for print subscribers. So "feedback" if this works is appreciated:

Fair Use:
WASHINGTON — For Amtrak, the coronavirus pandemic has not only slashed ridership and any chances of breaking even, it has also forced its leaders to face an existential choice: act like a for-profit airline or a government-subsidized entity.

Since March, ridership on the national rail agency has fallen by 95 percent and projected revenue for 2021 has declined by 50 percent. In response, Congress has bailed out the rail network with $1 billion in emergency funds.

But Amtrak’s leadership says it needs more money. Otherwise, it will have to cut costs by decreasing its work force by 20 percent and curtailing service on long-distance routes that serve areas where Amtrak is often the only mode of public transportation. The rail agency receives federal funds but is independently run.

“Operating trains with very few passengers on them at all, during a time of constraint — capital constraint, cash constraint and uncertainty around funding — doesn’t make a lot of sense,” William J. Flynn, Amtrak’s chief executive, said in an interview.
The first observation I have is that Mr.
Anderson can "color himself lucky" in that he was the only recent CEO to "escape" without a major crisis on his watch. Consider: Mr. Moorman had to address Penn Station no doubt because his predecessors "swept it under the rug", and now Mr. Flynn must face COVID which, to me, is the greatest confrontation Amtrak has faced to its continuation as a going business concern.

Even complete elimination of the Long Distance system, which of course I hold is forty years overdue, will not "right the ship". Business travel, while of course is far less of Amtrak’s ridership than that for airlines, will never return to pre-COVID levels, as companies have learned that "Zoom" conferencing works well enough and at far less cost (including exposure to liability from "nocturnal extra-curricular activites" that won't stop just because someone says "no-no").

Now the advocacy community, along with their friends on The Hill, notes LD ridenship is down 62% compared with 80 for the whole system. They further try to compare such with the Postal Service and brcause of the "underserved" rural communities should be continued. But one little difference - the Postal Service has a constitutional mandate to exist, and the last time I checked Amtrak only has enacted legislation.
 #1551601  by STrRedWolf

Gilbert B Norman wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 8:22 am Now the advocacy community, along with their friends on The Hill, notes LD ridenship is down 62% compared with 80 for the whole system. They further try to compare such with the Postal Service and brcause of the "underserved" rural communities should be continued. But one little difference - the Postal Service has a constitutional mandate to exist, and the last time I checked Amtrak only has enacted legislation.
To further the differences, I doubt Congress has dropped the retirement pre-funding mandate for the Post Office. Amtrak only has a "must run service" mandate.
 #1551610  by BandA

I can see the article with my browser features & plugin settings set a certain way (ublock-origin not blocking for the www.nytimes.com, enhanced tracking turned off, noscript allowing ...nyt.com & ...nytimes.com) I'm logged in & guessing I have a certain number of articles that I can read per month for free before being blocked...
Rail advocates have pushed back, noting that as of July ridership on long-distance routes across the country is faring better than it is on those that were more popular before the virus hit — including shorter routes like those in the Northeast Corridor.

Long-distance ridership is down 62 percent compared with the same period last year, while ridership on those relatively shorter routes through more urban areas is down more than 80 percent, according to an analysis by industry experts.
Wow, ONLY DOWN 62% is nothing for "rail advocates" to brag about.

If this is 20% furlough, then Amtrak had >10,000 employees? And 2,000 "non-agreement" aka management employees? A furlough is regretfully understandable under the circumstances.
 #1551629  by 8th Notch

The numbers are not final and have been discussed as being over aggressive, I fully expect them to scale back significantly in some areas.
 #1551633  by mtuandrew

8th Notch wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 11:47 pm The numbers are not final and have been discussed as being over aggressive, I fully expect them to scale back significantly in some areas.
This right here is the difference between Amtrak and an airline. Amtrak straddles the line between business and agency so the profit/loss statement isn’t the sole ruling factor; it can keep some extra staff on payroll and ask Congress to make up the shortfall. The airlines would prefer to cut deep and hire back after COVID; they are leaving as many workers as possible in the care of unions and unemployment insurance.
 #1551746  by Gilbert B Norman

Over at the parallel "Staff Layoff" topic, this quote from The New York Times appears:
Long-distance ridership is down 62 percent compared with the same period last year, while ridership on those relatively shorter routes through more urban areas is down more than 80 percent, according to an analysis by industry experts.
So it would appear, Mr. Charles River, that you are correct reciting the facts, but I could hardly agree with the conclusion the advocacy community might draw from such.
 #1551795  by lordsigma12345

Gilbert B Norman wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 11:32 am So it would appear, Mr. Charles River, that you are correct reciting the facts, but I could hardly agree with the conclusion the advocacy community might draw from such.
While I know we are not in agreement about Amtrak's future as I don't support the across the board cuts, I tend to agree with you that the advocacy community needs to be cautious about using this argument and I think other arguments are better/more appropriate (Such as the idea that cutting to 3x and using the metrics Amtrak announced will make it harder to restore service and bring ridership back down the road.) That number is nothing to brag about and before using this argument about long distance trains not being down as much against Amtrak it's important to look at each individual train and see how much each one is down because it may not be the same across the network. Some trains may be down way more than hours. For example the Auto Train was definitely a train that held on to some level of ridership throughout, but that train isn't slated for cuts. And also for the Silvers many stations will maintain daily service. How far are the individual trains down being cut to 3x a week?
 #1551809  by Railjunkie

Hearings on this subject will be broadcast on C Span next week possibly Tuesday and Wednesday or Wednesday Thursday
 #1551817  by west point

Gilbert B Norman wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 8:22 am

Now the advocacy community, along with their friends on The Hill, notes LD ridenship is down 62% compared with 80 for the whole system. They further try to compare such with the Postal Service and brcause of the "underserved" rural communities should be continued. But one little difference - the Postal Service has a constitutional mandate to exist, and the last time I checked Amtrak only has enacted legislation.

Any RR would not be in the constitution because they were not even conceived of their existence in the future, But the constitution does mention post roads. The Llincoln highway was partially funded underprovisions of the constitution's post road. It can be argued that since most RRs by the beginning of the 20th century were interstate the post road constitution mandate does apply to RRs. Interstate road construction certainly has been included. Not a far streach to apply it to RR freight and passenger services.
 #1551867  by John_Perkowski

west point wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 12:44 pm. It can be argued that since most RRs by the beginning of the 20th century were interstate the post road constitution mandate does apply to RRs. Interstate road construction certainly has been included. Not a far streach to apply it to RR freight and passenger services.
Pray tell, what passenger system these days is handling even palletized bulk mail?
 #1551899  by slchub

One service elimination I don't understand is Amtrak Express Shipping. They have a baggage car on most trains. Cargo does not complain nor care if it rides in the cold, heat or dark. To eliminate a service that is already in place and working seems odd. But then again, we have seen other oddball cuts such as dining options.