Railroad Forums 

• St. Marys RR could benifit from new base closures

• A general discussion about shortlines, industrials, and military railroads
A general discussion about shortlines, industrials, and military railroads

Moderator: Aa3rt

#126674  by dconlive_

I'm sure you heard about the Military Base closures list that came out earlier today.

Very interesting that the US Navy has decided to close the New London, CT Submarine base. This could greatly benifit Kings Bay Sub Base here in Georgia by sending more subs there. St. Mary's RR along with the new First Coast Railroad serves the base and hopefully this will booster their business. There have been rumors going around that Kings Bay might be on the list along with Moody AFB (Valdosta), but both pulled through.
The navy also closed 2 big ship yards in Portsmouth (NH) and Pascagoula (MS). Portsmouth did a lot of sub work.

#126858  by ashley2771

Why didn't First Coast just buy St. Mary's if St. Mary's is so bad off?

#127533  by dconlive_

1. St. Mary's wasn't for sale.

2. The landlocked St. Mary's RR traffic has got to use the landlocked First Coast RR to get to a Class I (CSX).

I don't know how bad off St. Mary's is. They might be doing okay, they might be just 2 part-time employees holding down the fort. I'm not sure. I just know traffic isn't doing much of anything at the moment.
If traffic is non-existant First Coast wouldn't want them anyway, just more track to maintain.

#128008  by ACLfan

First Coast RR is presently using St. Marys RR # 504 on a short-term rental basis. It is stationed in First Coast's former CSX yard in Fernandina, FL.

According to First Coast RR staffers, they are attempting to negotiate a purchase (preferred) or a long-term lease agreement for the loco.

ACLfan
 #158364  by ashley2771

Lines South, the periodical of the ACL-SAL Historial Society, reports that the St. Mary's has closed down. Is this true? How could it be? I thought they had to at least provide service to King's Bay Naval Base....

#160258  by ACLfan

Well, the St. Marys RR has ceased "regular" operations. But, when necessary, they will conduct special operations.

A prime example of "special" operations is a car movement to / from the Sub Base.

Otherwise, they are not operating (as they have no reason to be operating).

ACLfan

#160832  by dconlive_

I haven't heard anything about them closing up shop, but legally they can't since they since the base. I don't think they have any other customers on the line.

And what was Jimmy thinking? He just cost the St. Mary's / Kingsland area a couple thousand new jobs and residents. Also, the two shortline railroads would of benifited too. I know the New London base is a big deal up there in CT, but he hurt his home state in the process.