Railroad Forums 

• St Louis- Making it count

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in the American Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas. For questions specific to a railroad company, please seek the appropriate forum.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in the American Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas. For questions specific to a railroad company, please seek the appropriate forum.

Moderator: railohio

#1176535  by Plate C

Hi, I'll be in St Louis for a few days this week with some limited time to watch trains. Under these circumstances, what location(s) will give me the best bang for the buck? Any can't miss RR attractions? I imagine morning until noon will be my most free times. My main interest is freight traffic. I'd say I'm mainly a rolling stock fan but do enjoy seeing different power too. I always enjoyed seeing bottle cars in the Midwest if any are around, but happy to see what is specific to STL. Suggestions with some point of reference are much appreciated. Thanks!
 #1200089  by ST214

Hello,

I see the OP got no replies, but I am going to try anyway. What are some good places in the Saint Louis area to catch trains? I am heading out there next month. Any good spots to sit and catch mainline traffic? What about transfer runs? Anywhere within an hour or so of STL is fine with me. I would like to catch some "Southern Belles" also if possible.

Thanks in advance!
 #1230486  by Semaphore Sam

I had a day off yesterday, and went downtown on metro-rail to St. Louis Union Station (no rail traffic since 1978). What a magnificient place! The signal gantry at the throat of the station (looks like there were 30+ tracks, with more on the side outside the station proper) is still there, and the signal tower that once directed traffic, both freight and pax, is between mainline and station. Apparently all trains terminated there, and backed in to the bays. Most trackage is gone, but gantries and buildings still there...it was HUGE! They made a mall out of it, but most shops appear out of business, all under the station roof. They may tear it down, when the economy recovers; that would be a shame. Go see it if you can. I was told the best place to see rail movements is Grand Station, also on the metro-rail line. Sam