Railroad Forums 

• St, Lawrence Division question

• Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.
Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#376378  by Tom Curtin

Back in the late 60s I spent several months compliments of the US Army at Camp Drum (a while after my time, it became "Fort Drum"), NY. This was several years after the Syracuse-Massena passenger service had ended, so I never saw that. My question is: was the trackage through downtown Watertown, NY (which had involved some street running) abandoned before or after that passenger operation ended?

#376941  by shlustig

Mr. Curtin:

I can recall hi-railing the street trackage in the 1980's as this was part of our territory. Track was still in to serve NY Air Brake and some other consignees.

All through traffic ran via the by-pass.
 #377168  by Tom Curtin

Yess, I too recall the street trackage being left in as an industrial stub, but as I wrote previously, the "downtown" route had been abandoned north of the industrial customers by the late 60s. My question was: was the daily Massena passenger train using the byapss before the run was discontinued in 1964?

#380276  by TB Diamond

Believe that you are referring to the tracks that ran down Factory Street in Watertown. Have been informed that this trackage has been removed. The old NYC passenger station in Watertown was not used during the last two years or so prior to the discontinuance of passenger service. The "Beeliner" stopped at a shelter which was constructed on Arsenal Street (Route 3) after the downtown station stop was discontinued. The downtown station was demolished in 1969.