Railroad Forums 

• SRNJ M420 803

• Discussion of products from the American Locomotive Company. A web site with current Alco 251 information can be found here: Fairbanks-Morse/Alco 251.
Discussion of products from the American Locomotive Company. A web site with current Alco 251 information can be found here: Fairbanks-Morse/Alco 251.

Moderator: Alcoman

#318426  by BrianM

The SRNJ has painted their first M420, the 3517. The unit has been renumbered to 803. Once the other units are painted, they will also be renumbered. All that was really done, was paintout what was yellow, ex-Stl&A unit, into red. Graphics have been added to the unit today.

There is still some more work to do, white chevrons on nose and rear, white mask on front cab windows, white handrails & grabs and new numberboards (decals placed over existing until new ones go in).

I uploaded a picture of the unit after the graphics had been added. It is under the roster section on the SRNJ site.

Brian

#318449  by Luther Brefo

Looks pretty good. I like the red and black. It looks clean. I also noted that the ditch lights have been more Americanized :) Let us know when the final additions are on.

#318547  by BrianM

The ditch lights housing had been custom made by a shop in NJ.

Brian

#319296  by MEC407

Is SRNJ still using the U18B?

#319530  by BrianM

The unit really has not been used much. There are a few problems with it. It is a shame that they could not have picked up the 2 MEC units (the ones they really wanted) instead of this unit.

Brian

#319588  by MEC407

Yeah, that is a shame. The MEC 404 and 407 were (and possibly still are) pretty good runners. A little basic TLC and they would have been good workhorses.

I still can't figure out why that Canadian company bought them, only to park them and let them rot, and then refuse to even entertain the idea of reselling them. Very odd.

Nevertheless, it would be nice if SRNJ could get the ex-P&W 1801 rolling again. Do you happen to know what kinds of problems it has? The 8cyl FDL is an attractive engine in these days of sky-high oil prices. (IIRC, its fuel economy is about 25%-30% better than a GP9 or GP38.)

#319689  by BrianM

From what I understand, it is electrical.

As for the MEC units, I have called Canada a few times trying to get them but no luck. I was told there a few things going on with them but they would not say what.

But the SRNJ is looking at another ALCO at this time. I will keep you guys posted once I know more.

Brian