Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by Silverliner II

Sorry for the delay in reporting this, but CSX has been keeping me busy....

On Thursday (5/12), train Q439 came by Langhorne, PA just after 1pm or so. Near the hind end of the train were a pair of dead Metro-North SPV-2000 cars, and Amtrak 10-6 sleeper 2463-Silver Crag.

Heading to scrap, maybe??

Joe

by DutchRailnut

I believe those are heading for NYS&W historical society.
  by fordhamroad

And what about the "Metro-North Historical Society" at Danbury?
Roger

by Otto Vondrak

There's an SPV at the Connecticut Eastern Railroad Museum in Willimantic. Seems like the others are going to NYSW Tech Society, where their long term plan is to restore them as coaches and use them in excursion services... (because when I go chasing steam engines, I really want to see it pulling a string of glorified Amfleet coaches).

http://www.cteastrrmuseum.org/spv.htm

-otto-

by DutchRailnut

The car at CERM is only car thats complete and in fairly good shape.
I would not recommend trying to run it but it could be done.
The SPV was a very temperamental car and the brakes sucked. so trying to run itwould ultimatly end in disaster.
The engines kind of self destoyed after a few months so the cost to a railway museum could realy be trowing away money, first restore it and then see it self destruct.

by Silverliner II

I suppose if the SPV hadn't been so over-engineered, I wonder if it would have been more of a success.

Perhaps if they'd stuck to basics like they did with the RDC, they may have survived in service longer....

Joe

by glennk419

My guess would be that they're heading for the torch. See here: http://www.railroad.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=13723.

Doesn't make a lot of sense that a car destined for the NYSW Tech Society would be routed through Maryland.

by #5 - Dyre Ave

Otto Vondrak wrote:There's an SPV at the Connecticut Eastern Railroad Museum in Willimantic. Seems like the others are going to NYSW Tech Society, where their long term plan is to restore them as coaches and use them in excursion services... (because when I go chasing steam engines, I really want to see it pulling a string of glorified Amfleet coaches).

http://www.cteastrrmuseum.org/spv.htm

-otto-
That would be something - seeing an 80-year old steam engine pulling 25-year old tube-shaped SPV's. It would be a weird sight, no doubt.

by shadyjay

Confused I am, yes. Where did the 80-year old steam engine come into play? CT Eastern doesn't have one. The closest thing NYS&W has is their steam engine, but that one was built in 1989 in China.

I do see the point though, Otto. You don't want to go to a museum / tourist rr to see a steam locomotive pulling Amfleets, or any more than you want to see a 2005 Ford F150 at a classic car show.

-JH

by ANDY117

shadyjay wrote:Confused I am, yes. Where did the 80-year old steam engine come into play? CT Eastern doesn't have one. The closest thing NYS&W has is their steam engine, but that one was built in 1989 in China.

I do see the point though, Otto. You don't want to go to a museum / tourist rr to see a steam locomotive pulling Amfleets, or any more than you want to see a 2005 Ford F150 at a classic car show.

-JH
I think otto's referring to 142, the Steam engine that the NYS&WTHS has. I believe it's a 2-10-0.

by Otto Vondrak

Now that we have gotten completely off-topic, I'm fairly certain that I was talking about the NYSWHTS's SPV's and their plan to haul them with the NYSW #142 (the 1989 Chinese-built SY-class).

-otto-
  by railrob

Ex Metro North SPV-2000s 292 ,296 and Ex CB&Q sleeper Silver Crag are owned and operated by the Firefighters Training and Education Foundation based in the CSX W. Springfield yard. When spoted they were enroute to SC for a class. And one SPV did get set out in College Park MD with an air hose problem.