Railroad Forums 

• spots at night - burbank, irvine CA?

• Pertaining to all railroad subjects, past and present, in the American West, including California, Arizona, Nevada, Colorado, New Mexico, Wyoming, Montana, and The Dakotas. For specific railroad topics, please see the Fallen Flags and Active Railroads categories.
Pertaining to all railroad subjects, past and present, in the American West, including California, Arizona, Nevada, Colorado, New Mexico, Wyoming, Montana, and The Dakotas. For specific railroad topics, please see the Fallen Flags and Active Railroads categories.

Moderator: Komachi

#210842  by blw

Next week I'll be in the LA area with some time to kill after dark. Are there any cool places to visit? Junctions, yards, engine terminals, etc? I have one evening in the Burbank area and one evening in the Irvine area.

#220506  by njtmnrrbuff

All of those locations that you mentioned are good places. However, two out of the three, you can get both Amtrak and Metrolink trains stopping there during the nighttime. Metrolink stops running at a certain hour. I have been on the platform at downtown Burbank. Pretty good station for photography. Even better, go to Fullerton. That is a popular station for the railfan community of southern cali. trainweb is based there. Many freights, amtrak, and metrolink. The eastbound southwest chief stops there during the early evening.

#225038  by pennsy

Hi All,

You left out LAUS, now known as Los Angeles Transit Center, LATC. You can catch the Gold Line, Red Line, Metrolink, Amtrak. And if you want to walk around you can catch the privately owned railcars on their own siding. On Track 13, the last track in the terminal you can usually see Amtrak freight cars, and often Road Railers. Touring the terminal is also a good deal. Many movies are shot in LATC. It is a favored location. Enjoy, and enjoy a great lunch on Olvera Street.