Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by benltrain

what are the speed limits for all the metro north lines, and what speeds do trains actually run. how fast are they allowed to run?

by Otto Vondrak

We can answer the speed limits question (that would also answer your "how fast are they allowed to run" question), but what do you mean, "what speeds do they actually run?" You trying to get someone in trouble? ;-)

-otto-

by jg greenwood

A potential "cheese eater?" (RAT) :wink:

by benltrain

in addition to the speed limits i was wondering what the normal and top service speeds are- for example do the m2/4/6 cars actually do 90 on the new haven line?
  by Dave Wallace

Let's assume that benltrain didn't mean to get anyone in trouble.

I think it's important to point out that many folks who ask such questions don't realize that equipment speed is frequently limited by complex equipment such as signals and other computerization.

It seems to me that the real question is "If the speed limit on the New Haven near Larchmont is 90MPH, do all trains always have the chance to even go that fast?"

As a passenger, I can tell you that although speed limits are high as 90MPH in some isolated areas, for the most part, trains don't travel that fast and can't if signals won't permit it. Furthermore, there's alot more track that permits 60-75MPH than there is for 90MPH.

by benltrain

what's the fastest the expresses really go in open track? can they hit 90 without hitting another train or flying away?

by Terminal Proceed

This is getting ridiculous - topic LOCKED.