Railroad Forums 

• Special rail trip to Greenport Oct. 16th 2021

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#1551384  by nyandw

LIST AND THE LIRR ARE RUNNING A TRIP TO GREENPORT!!!!
Although it is on a regularly scheduled train, we will have our own private cars with many things added into the price of the ticket. We will have raffles, docents to provide information as well as a special pin, handouts and books included in the price of a ticket.
ONE OF THE MANY RAFFLE PRIZES IS WORTH $100!!!
More to follow in the September edition of our newsletter, the Semaphore.

Open to all: Please Contact: http://list-nrhs.org/
 #1551416  by Pensyfan19

Are these private cars C3 railcars or are they separate coach cars attached to the front or end of the train?! :-D
 #1551445  by jhdeasy

nyandw wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 2:47 pm LIST AND THE LIRR ARE RUNNING A TRIP TO GREENPORT!!!!
Although it is on a regularly scheduled train, we will have our own private cars with many things added into the price of the ticket. We will have raffles, docents to provide information as well as a special pin, handouts and books included in the price of a ticket.
ONE OF THE MANY RAFFLE PRIZES IS WORTH $100!!!
More to follow in the September edition of our newsletter, the Semaphore.

Open to all: Please Contact: http://list-nrhs.org/
No information about this trip published on their website as of 8/31/2020.

I will speculate that LIRR is adding one or two of their C3 cars for exclusive occupancy of the LIST NRHS excursion passengers.
 #1579672  by nyandw

On October 16th, LIST and the LIRR will be having a special rail trip to Greenport. Please click on the link below regarding information concerning the trip.
There will be more information in the September edition of the Semaphore which will be sent out shortly via email and the USPS.
PLEASE SPREAD THE WORD AS THE TRIP IS OPEN TO ALL!
PLEASE JOIN US FOR A FUN FILLED DAY!
Steve

Below is the link to the webpage for the Greenport Rail Fan Tour.

https://new.mta.info/daytrips/guided-to ... t-rail-fan
 #1581802  by gamer4616

DM engines (500 series) are prohibited east of Ronkonkoma.

Greenport passenger trains are limited to the DE engines (400 series).

Due to this restriction, direct service to/from Penn Station is not possible.

DM engines are equipped with 3rd rail shoes and allow service to Penn Station.

The DE engines have no 3rd rail shoes and are not permitted into the East River tunnels (into Penn Station).
 #1581811  by 452 Card

There are areas unknown to the MW that could cause problems. In the early EMD DM evolution, we found broken third rail shoes on Montauk trains that had DMs on the point. I did the old school investigation, by walking the track from Babylon east. Yes I know this sounds dumb, but I found the problem in Bayshore. At the west end of the eastbound low-level platform that was still there, I found a clump of debris that would shear off the third rail shoes from the DMs. There was a pile there. Unless someone takes the time to review the PC for any problems, the LIRR will continue to restrict the DMs by Special Instruction.
 #1581812  by gamer4616

Then explain this.

I didn't realize there was a youtube clip in your post. In recent years, the railroad changed the special instructions to prohibit the engines. I can't pinpoint the exact timeframe. From what I heard, the contact shoes were hitting some obstructions enroute, and they were getting knocked off.

It's even stated in the comments of the youtube video you sent.