Railroad Forums 

Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

#1285380  by byte

Backshophoss wrote:But the question remains,where to put a yard to lay up trains?
Or how to service the equipment as well at LaSalle?
They will probably service/lay-up trains at 47th street shops, as is done with the Rock Island's consists during the day.
 #1285449  by Rockingham Racer

byte wrote:
Backshophoss wrote:But the question remains,where to put a yard to lay up trains?
They will probably service/lay-up trains at 47th street shops, as is done with the Rock Island's consists during the day.

Is that place still called the Rocket House?
 #1285476  by TrainManUPRR

They would need to expand the yard to fit the SWS trains. There isn't much room to expand the current yard so my guess is they's have to build another one. The coach yard is barely big enough to fit the Rock Island trains as it is.

Nowadays only the diesel shop is referred to as the "Rocket House". The car shops are 49th Street, and the coach yard itself is 51st Street.

LaSalle would need expanded too, at rush hour all the tracks are filled as well.
 #1285529  by doepack

Rockingham Racer wrote:
byte wrote:

Is that place still called the Rocket House?

Maybe not officially, but it's still my preferred nickname for it...
 #1287176  by wda4449

MetraSouthWestServiceFan wrote:As part of CREATE, it is planned within the next couple of years to move the SouthWest Service from CUS to LaSalle. What are your thoughts on the move? Do you believe that it makes sense? Is worth while? I want to know what you guys think about it.
Overall, I think moving the SWS to LaSalle is a good idea. But, I wonder if Metra will be ready with the supporting facilities in time, such as a storage yard expansion. I also wonder if the 2 track mainline from the proposed connection north of Gresham to/from LaSalle will handle the SWS traffic. It will make no sense to move the service, then cause traffic problems for the Rock Island trains.
 #1287237  by byte

Metra has installed "extra" viaducts over some of the cross streets between La Salle and 35th street. Would seem that their intention is to have a third track go at least that far south.
 #1287257  by justalurker66

byte wrote:Metra has installed "extra" viaducts over some of the cross streets between La Salle and 35th street. Would seem that their intention is to have a third track go at least that far south.
I thought the Rock Island was being planned as a three track line to Joliet to help support high(er) speed rail?
 #1295232  by Thunder

Those viaducts are for MOW to be able to drive up there.As for the third track? That will be an Amtrak only track if anything.Thats who is supposed to be putting it in place. But till it happens, I wouldnt worry too much.
 #1296465  by GWoodle

MetraSouthWestServiceFan wrote:As part of CREATE, it is planned within the next couple of years to move the SouthWest Service from CUS to LaSalle. What are your thoughts on the move? Do you believe that it makes sense? Is worth while? I want to know what you guys think about it.

Makes sense to move some service out of CUS to another station. Former Wabash/N&W line used to end at Dearborn. Moving to LaSalle should move it closer to the Loop.