Railroad Forums 

• South Jersey

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#1622461  by chuchubob

Part of my post disappeared. I said Wimpey Minerals WIMX 2778 built as LV 502.
 #1622463  by Bracdude181

Oh they’re different engines my bad.

I looked into Wimpey Materials and it seems they shut down their US outfit a while back, and since then the B30-7 has remained. Curious as to why another railroad hasn’t purchased that engine. Unless it’s falling apart or something.

Any clue where that ex LV ended up or was it scrapped?
 #1622480  by Railcar1

Word is years ago the owner of the Camden plant was given a hard time by NS and he told them what to go do and went by truck. Maybe others here know what really happened.
 #1622482  by Railcar1

The ex LV unit sat nearby in the trees and vegetation for years. No idea if it’s been cut up or not.
 #1622501  by AceMacSD

Railcar1 wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 5:39 am Word is years ago the owner of the Camden plant was given a hard time by NS and he told them what to go do and went by truck. Maybe others here know what really happened.
Close but not quite accurate, there was an issue with their product supply. Some legal issues arose. NS wouldn't do business until their legal matters were resolved. IIRC on a separate matter, they'd also supplied NS with the wrong size stone than what was ordered.
 #1622662  by Railcar1

AceMacSD wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 12:37 pm
Railcar1 wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 5:39 am Word is years ago the owner of the Camden plant was given a hard time by NS and he told them what to go do and went by truck. Maybe others here know what really happened.
Close but not quite accurate, there was an issue with their product supply. Some legal issues arose. NS wouldn't do business until their legal matters were resolved. IIRC on a separate matter, they'd also supplied NS with the wrong size stone than what was ordered.
If I’m reading this right, NS had the issues with Wimpey Minerals and not the plant in Camden?
 #1622749  by Bracdude181

Would be nice to see some sort of new rail served facility on the property there.
 #1622828  by Railcar1

I asked on the Conrail forum a while back but got no responses so maybe here would be the place to ask. I noticed not too long after the CR split, a handful of GP38’s that went to NS including the Spirit of Conrail 2943 got repainted in the full CR Quality scheme with the NS loco numbers. Who painted these units and why only those units versus getting the NS or CSX paint?
 #1622836  by Bracdude181

Yeah, a couple engines were like that. I heard it had something to do with insurance?
 #1622841  by Railcar1

I think 5 total judging from all the online pics. The 2946 originally had really bad graffiti on it before it was repainted.
 #1622845  by CR7876

They were painted early into SAA. NS 2946 was involved in a grade crossing accident in late 2000 or early 2001 on the Freehold Sec at either South St or Throckmorton & Main. It looked like this http://rrpicturearchives.net/showPictur ... id=5795043 , the story goes the big boss showed up because he lived in Freehold, and demanded the unit gets painted. Regardless she emerged : http://rrpicturearchives.net/showPictur ... id=1399546.

IIRC #'s 2908, 2910, 2919, 2943, 2946 were re-painted by NS . Out of all of them only 2946 received the correct font on the number boards, making in my mind, the first Conrail Heritage unit.

Why they only did those 5, I can't answer. Those were assigned to SAA, but I think by 2002 or 03 NS made the determination that they were going to rebuild the straight 38's into 38-2's which turned into the 5500's and 5600's. Only a handful of 38's were painted NS Black, I believe.
 #1622888  by AceMacSD

That's pretty much it. When split happened what was agreed upon that we'd get at CR Shared was inconsistent with what we'd got. I vaguely remember the 2900s and don't recall a spirit of conrail. We were to get 62 CR 7800 series 50 NS and 12 of their CSX. Also intended for us were about a dozen of the CR 1900 series U237B uboats equipped with cabs and good for AMTK service and low clearances. Don't remember how many from each parent. This was to replace the puppies. The NS determined them to be unsafe.
Road power were supposed to be 12-16 of the CR 65-6600 series U307C uboats split evenly between both CSX & NS.

This was determined by both parties to be more than sufficient power for us. FWWWT, these engines were to remain in captive service and get a a CR Shared paint job with each parent represented. Like I said what was agreed upon before split and what happened after is anyone's guess. The few that got a CR paint job after split were done in Altoona and did a better job than the CSX particularly within the engine compartment where they sprayed over anything that was still in there, tools, oil, rags, you name it. At least NS cleaned the guts before painting.