Railroad Forums 

• South Dakota Black Hills Railroading

• Pertaining to all railroad subjects, past and present, in the American West, including California, Arizona, Nevada, Colorado, New Mexico, Wyoming, Montana, and The Dakotas. For specific railroad topics, please see the Fallen Flags and Active Railroads categories.
Pertaining to all railroad subjects, past and present, in the American West, including California, Arizona, Nevada, Colorado, New Mexico, Wyoming, Montana, and The Dakotas. For specific railroad topics, please see the Fallen Flags and Active Railroads categories.

Moderator: Komachi

#449439  by usmccp

I enjoy reading these boards a lot...

Here's a question that I hope someone has the answer to, because google doesn't - What has become of the planned Deadwood, Black Hills and Western Railroad now that DM&E has been bought out by CP? The company behind the DB&W has shut down their website. Last I heard they were talking with DM&E about trackage rights. Thanks for the info whoever has it.

#449488  by TB Diamond

The Deadwood, Black Hills & Western? Was this the line that Kevin Costner wanted to build from the Rapid City airport to his proposed gambling resort near Deadwood? Resided in Gillette, WY back in the late 1990s when this operation was proposed and used to keep some track of it via the Rapid City paper. If so, the last I knew the resort was never completed and the railroad never got much past the planning stage.

#451436  by usmccp

TB Diamond
Thanks for the reply - I believe Kevin Costner sold his part in the company, but I think that was written on a now defunct website, so I can't verify it. Do you still live fairly close enough to the area to catch anything else on it?

#451500  by TB Diamond

Now live about 300 miles south of Gillette, so am out of the loop. If I recall correctly, a portion of the proposed railroad up to the Deadwood area was going to be constructed on a long abandoned CNW branch r/o/w. There was a lot of controversy at the time about the ownership of parts of that right of way.