Railroad Forums 

• Something funny in Langhorne yard

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania

Moderator: bwparker1

#949037  by trackwelder

coming north from philly on septa's west trenton line this afternoon i'm pretty sure i saw what looked like some diesels in west chester rail road paint scheme. what's that all about?
 #950035  by trackwelder

yup. i only caught a glance between 2 cuts of cars but i'm pretty sure i saw wcrr spray painted on the cab side.
 #950237  by trackwelder

what for? servicing or is new hope buying them?
 #950886  by glennk419

I thought six axle power was banned from the Bethlehem branch due to the general track condition north (west) of Lansdale and more specifically, the spaghetti track at Souderton. Unless they're planning on some major track work and realignment, those locos may spend more time on the ground than on the rails.
 #952655  by jrevans

glennk419 wrote:I thought six axle power was banned from the Bethlehem branch due to the general track condition north (west) of Lansdale and more specifically, the spaghetti track at Souderton. Unless they're planning on some major track work and realignment, those locos may spend more time on the ground than on the rails.
I thought that six axle power was only banned from the Stony Creek Branch, but I could be mistaken.
 #954977  by limejuice

Not sure if the six axle restriction was implemented by Septa, CSX, or NS. I was informed that the only spot in question with regard to geometry was Crystal. The EMD's are able to handle tighter curves than GE's 6-axles. NH&I made do shifting CRC with the C30's, despite their inability to navigate that siding, so I don't think the SD40-2W's will encounter any problems on the Bethlehem branch. Many have questioned or made light of NH&I's trend of using seemingly overpowered 6-axle units on a short line. The demand for secondhand 6-axles is relatively low compared to that of 4-axles, and therefore they can be had for much less money, and if you ask an engineer on the job, the extra might often comes in handy. Another example of secondhand 6-axles being used for light duty work is R&N and their SD50's.