Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by Otto Vondrak

Shore Line East equipment was on the Waterbury today- 6699 was facing south, plus two ex-VRE coaches, plus Connecticut Commuter Rail cab car "Yankee Clipper." Got a few shots off in Bridgeport of train #6926 as she left town... lookin' good!

-otto-
Last edited by Otto Vondrak on Mon Jan 16, 2006 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Otto Vondrak

It may be a daily occurance for you, but not for me. Yes, I have observed the SLE equipment on Waterbury trains before.

-otto-

by Clean Cab

The Waterbury curse lives!! That very same trainset that runs everywhere else all the time without trouble, crapped out at Bridgeport last night. Busses had to once again be used.

I once knew an old NHRR engineer who told the story of why the Waterbury branch trains always have problems. He tells the story that the train tracks travel through what was once an old Indian burial ground and legend says that anyone who disrupts their land will meet with misforune.

Not that I'm a big believer in curses, but how else do you explain the never ending train failures on the Waterbury Branch????

by Otto Vondrak

Geez killjoy, it's not like I was reporting the daily arrival of an M-2 set in Stamford or something. So sue me, I like the SLE set, went out to Bridgeport and nailed it on the "Chinese wall" in East Bridgeport. You're just JEALOUS. :-P

So you're telling me the SLE set is on Waterbury branch trains every day?

-otto-

by MNRR_RTC

Hey Otto,

1926, the 1330hrs train out of Bridgeport is usually SLE equipment. If you take 1526, you can connect with it and take a ride at your convenience. 1926 turns for 1975, 1513hrs out of Waterbury.

by nick11a

Hey, I for one think it is a pretty cool thing to see. And hopefully, I'll see it one day occuring. :-)

And Otto, I'm jealous. Haha.

by Otto Vondrak

See? Nick is jealous. RTC, thanks for the info.

-otto-

by RedSoxSuck

capecodlocoguy wrote:The Waterbury curse lives!! That very same trainset that runs everywhere else all the time without trouble, crapped out at Bridgeport last night. Busses had to once again be used.

I once knew an old NHRR engineer who told the story of why the Waterbury branch trains always have problems. He tells the story that the train tracks travel through what was once an old Indian burial ground and legend says that anyone who disrupts their land will meet with misforune.

Not that I'm a big believer in curses, but how else do you explain the never ending train failures on the Waterbury Branch????
Well, Amtrak uses these tracks, right? :-)

by Otto Vondrak

Well Amtrak uses these tracks, right?
Wrong. :-)

You're thinking of the "Inland Route" from New Haven to Springfield, Mass. It ain't called the Waterury Branch for nothin'. True, the Naugatuck maintains the tracks beyond Waterbury to Torrington. But that's it.

-otto-
Last edited by Otto Vondrak on Tue Jan 17, 2006 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by njtmnrrbuff

The NH-Springfield Line is Amtrak and the Waterbury is MN. Shore Line East sets do pop up on the Waterbury at times. When I took the branch two years ago, I had one. Obviously, that is the closest MN owned branchline to New Haven, where SLE equipment is stored. Whatever set is available for the line, whether if its MN blue, MN red, or Shoreline east, will cover the run.

by Noel Weaver

Otto Vondrak wrote:
Well Amtrak uses these tracks, right?
Wrong. :-)

You're thinking of the "Inland Route" from New Haven to Springfield, Mass. It ain't called the Waterury Branch for nothin'. True, the Naugatuck maintains the tracks beyond Waterbury to Torrington. But that's it.

-otto-
Otto - RE: Your map of the Naugatuck Valley, the portion of the line
between Torrington and Winsted was taken out of service on April 15, 1963 and the track was removed in the fall of 1963 and spring of 1964 by
a crane and gondola for the most part.
Noel Weaver

by checkthedoorlight

the regular 2 car Genesis/Shoreliner set gets sent to New Haven after the 12:20PM run to Bridgeport, presumably for refueling and maintainance. At the same time, one of the SLE sets is sent from New Haven to Bridgeport to cover the 13:32 run to Waterbury, and then the 15:13 run back to Bridgeport. After dumping the passengers, the SLE set deadheads to Stamford to be used for the 17:11 run to Old Saybrook. The 2 car GE set gets sent from New Haven to Bridgeport in time for the 17:51 run to Waterbury.

If you want to railfan the Waterbury line facing north, or just see the SLE equipment running on the Waterbury line, the 13:32 and 15:13 are the ones to be on.

by Fred G

And so convenient to photograph, with the locomotive on the south end.